Hurting chicken

Estelee

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 9, 2013
Florida
My Buffy has somehow gotten her skin torn under her wing. Is there something I can for this? I have seperated her from the other girls. Maybe clean it?

For some reason I thought this post read hunting chicken.

Chickens heal remarkably well without any assistance at all. I've had a huge gaping wound in a hen, and she showed no ill effects. I sprayed it with Blue Kote to prevent any infection and to keep her from picking at herself (which she was).

I recommend isolating her in a confined, controlled (ie clean) space. Gently wash the area. I got Chlorhexidine (sp?) from my vet last summer when I needed to treat some traumas, comes as soap and as rinse. Follow up with generous antibiotic ointment (Walmart has it cheap, I went thru a dozen tubes). Do morning and night. If its small you can probably avoid antibiotics. Chickens heal inctedibly well (thank God).

She is hanging by herself right now. Laid an egg and I washed the wound out pretty good, then put some Xenaderm ointment on it. That is a wound healer. Glad to know they are good healers. I just love her to death. She is so sweet. I don't know what happened to her. Strange.

After isolating her last night, I went to check on her and she is doing so good. She is a trooper. I again cleaned her wound and dressed it. My Pepper seems to miss her.. although she is fussing at him. So, for now all is better.

Everyone was right on this one. She is doing every well. I do believe the rooster done this. This is a young bunch of chickens and Mr. Pepper is just getting his spurs. She now hides from him. I am keeping a very close eye on them. No pecking of any kind. Thanks everyone for all your input.

Everyone was right on this one. She is doing every well. I do believe the rooster done this. This is a young bunch of chickens and Mr. Pepper is just getting his spurs. She now hides from him. I am keeping a very close eye on them. No pecking of any kind. Thanks everyone for all your input.
It wouldn't be the rooster's fault. Just trying to balance while mating and spurs must have slipped and cut her. Exactly what happened to my girl. While she is healing, try to keep rooster away so she can grow new skin over the would.

Buffy is doing very well. Chickens do heal pretty good I guess. She is now running around, no pecking from the others and Mr. Pepper is once again happy. I don't think the rooster done this. I looked, he doesn't have his spurs yet. Just some bumps where they will be later on. I guess something tried to get her while running around in the yard and she got away. She is laying again.

Buffy is doing very well. Chickens do heal pretty good I guess. She is now running around, no pecking from the others and Mr. Pepper is once again happy. I don't think the rooster done this. I looked, he doesn't have his spurs yet. Just some bumps where they will be later on. I guess something tried to get her while running around in the yard and she got away. She is laying again.
It doesn't always come from the spurs. The claws are enough to do it. My girl had a mild scratch on one side, and a very, very deep one on the other. That's how I figured it was a mating accident.

Back
Top Bottom