I am sick not the chickens - thoughts?

aliciawrenn

Chirping
9 Years
Feb 9, 2015
York, SC
I know this might sound odd but has anyone had breathing problems caused BY their chickens? I have developed a terrible cough that just wont go away even with antibiotics. The doctors say it is a virus but I wonder if it could be caused by something I am breathing in or something I am allergic to in the coop.

I have 5 hens all are about to start laying and we only have one who has matured enough to lay. I am the sole person who takes care of the chickens and I am always careful and wash after I leave the coop. They have the "garden coop" design only larger 6.5' x 14.5' with a dirt floor and the coop part itself is 6.5 wide by 4 feet deep.

Anyone have a similar experience?

The first time I cleaned out my chicken coop, I ended up in bed for almost 2 days with severe stomach cramps. I read that I could have picked up salmonella from breathing in too much poop dust. I was going to give it 3 days since there wouldn't be much you could do but wait it out if that was the case. I didn't want a doctor pumping me full of antibiotics achieving nothing but killing all my probiotics and probably causing some other unpleasantness.

Since then I've built an immunity to what ever bug it was because I've cleaned the coop several times since and haven't had an issue.

When I first started having chickens, I'd have a reaction to some unknown cause. Coughing lasting for weeks and generally not feeling well. Still not completely sure if it is their pine shavings, their dust or waste. I was at my wits end and about to give up my girls when my husband suggested going out with a surgical mask when I did any kind of chores around them. I've found that my cough is gone and only comes back when I forget to wear a mask. I can be around the chickens if I am not stirring up the bedding without the mask without ill effects. You could try picking up a pack at Walmart or a local pharmacy or even ask your doctor for some and see if that helps.

There are some diseases you can pick up and it's always wise to let your doctor know that you keep birds when having any respiratory symptoms just to be safe. But my doctor told me after ruling out the nasty potentials that it is an allergy. He did prescribe an allergy spray but with the masks, I haven't had to use it.

Get help before you get sicker! Have Xrays been done? Allergy testing? Blood workup? Definitely wear a N95 or better dust mask every time you're out there, because there's a lot of dust in the coop always. I never do any coop cleaning without that dust mask! Mary

If it's causing problems, I definitely suggest a dust mask when you clean the coop. A less dusty bedding than wood chips (perhaps straw or pine needles) may benefit as well. With my personal allergy experience, wood chips are horrible. Way too much dust! I can handle straw a lot better.
What is the cough like? Is it a dry cough, like with allergies, or is it a nasty wet phlemy cough? Does your back and chest hurt? If it persists OR you have back/chest pain and a wet cough, I think you should insist on a chest x-ray to rule out pneumonia. A couple tests can't hurt, and if they turn up okay then it will give you peace of mind. If all is well, I would ask about allergy medication, because bad allergies can lead to bronchitis and even pneumonia is you don't get control of them. I take Allegra normally, available OTC. Helps a whole lot with chicken allergies, pollen, cats, dust, and everything really!
Hope you get better soon!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom