I am SO ticked off by this letter!!!

In Maine if you are a responsible owner and get a rabies shot for your dog the vet has to then send your information to the town listed on the certificate. So then the town knows you have a dog and will gladly wait until you rack up enough penalties before sending a notice that you failed to license the dog. A licensed vet has to give the rabies shot too. Yet another law that irritates the heck out of me. I can give all the other shots with no problems but not rabies. Grrrr. Just another way for the government to interfere. So now we have many dogs who aren't vaccinated against a deadly disease because the owners don't want to have to license them.

Currently my town has no dog ordinance but that is soon to change. We have a new ACO who has decided we need one. There is a public hearing next week to discuss it. Can't wait to see what that will be about. I have five dogs and am not going to be happy if they want to limit the number. I have the land. My dogs are not left outside 24/7 to annoy the neighborhood and after five years if there hasn't been a problem I doubt there will be. Plus I have a neighbor with peacocks and we all know how 'quiet' they are. Then there are the ATV's and snowmobiles that are constantly disturbing the peace.

Thanks for all the support friends! I will call the clerk and tell her that I gave him (the 13 year old Rat terrier, blind and deaf) to my Mom. Bother, never thought 5 dogs would open such a can of worms! My dogs are obedient, stay in there yard and do not bark unless someone comes in the drive or we are playing fetch. The closest neighbors are 1/4 mile away on 3 sides and up a huge hill across the road. All have dogs that I can hear barking most of the day. They are tied out or kenneled. Maybe they are jealous of my dogs that can run free in our yard?
We have had issues with the county from my geese being on the road...$189 fine which I paid and put up a $2000 fence across the front of my property!
If I only hadnt included that rabies cert for the Rat terrier this never would have happend! I did it by mistake!
he.gif

Terri O near Madison, WI

Quote:
Few states allow IMRAB to be given by non-licensed people. They say it is for safety reasons, but that doesn't make any sense. It's a killed virus. Not even vets use a live or ML virus because it is zoonotic. I can understand how dangerous a live rabies virus would be, but a killed one?

Last edited:
i have always had 4dogs (1 recently passed away) 2labs which we licensed and a rat terrier and a chihuahua that dont get licensed and i doubt cats will ever need licensed becouse they pose almost no threat to ppl wereass ive seen vids of dogs ripping the skin from a childs face never seen a cat do that and most ppl who have cats will let them run free and they could just say its a stray if county investigated

Quote:
Few states allow IMRAB to be given by non-licensed people. They say it is for safety reasons, but that doesn't make any sense. It's a killed virus. Not even vets use a live or ML virus because it is zoonotic. I can understand how dangerous a live rabies virus would be, but a killed one?

If you want to let a few more worms out of the can on this issue, read How To Afford Veterinary Care Without Mortgaging The Kids...great book, but boy will it make you mad at the System! See what this vet has to say about the Rabies vaccine and see how out of porportion this thing really is. At one time, rabies had its heyday as a witch hunt of sorts in this country, and that has affected us today.

My town just started a new thing...
if you have more than 4 dogs..you have to get a kennel license...
roll.png

I guess its okay though..it'll keep me in line..otherwise i'd have 15 dogs..
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Same here, the post office lady will call us to chat and make sure we're still around if we dont' get the mail for a few days.... It's so small townish.

Redhen, does the need for a kennel license include altered dogs? Would be hard to have a "kennel" if they're all fixed. All four of mine are.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom