I am the ALPHA ROO!!!

chickenshagg

THE ALPHA ROO
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
St. Charles, MO
Every once in a while I will have to re-assert myself over my rooster, reminding him that I am the alpha roo. My wife sometimes can't believe that this is the same timid roo that we saved at an auction for $2.00. I have been in and out of the house all day today while my chickens have been free ranging. When I went out to check and see if they had laid anymore eggs so I could gather them before they froze I was walking away from the coop and my rooster came running towards me then he dropped his wing in the dirt and started a face off. Well it did not go well for him as he was sent running for cover. Then again I just went outside to call the girls back from across the road and my roo charged me again. This time I got a hold of him and sent him flying while his girls stayed gathered around me.

I know that this is normal behavior for a rooster. Even though I am out with them quite often he does not do this very often but I still must remind him that I am the alpha roo. I have read where people say to get rid of an aggressive roo but this one is a good protector and guardian of his girls and does not scare me at all.

I have a roo like that too. The only scary part is when he does that to my niece...he's as big as she is!! So, I have quit letting her go out there without me, and plan on getting rid of rooster fussy butt as soon as possible!

if he chases you, chse him screaming your heado off untill he doesnt want to see you ever again,
or when he charges you, pick him up by the legs untill he stops strugling, do this every time he charges you and you will be the alpha roo!
smile.png

I don't blame you (or your Roo) a bit - my fiancee has told me extensively how he has to maintain the alpha dog dominance over our overgrown, cuddly pit bull. It may seeem odd to others, but I've see it before - I used to have a big male Muscovy that would attack periodically
rant.gif
and had to be put in his place.
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom