I believe I have a hermaphrodite chicken

Only 3 options I can think of if there was no human interference.
1. The egg was already there.
2. A hen laid an egg in there or near there and it got moved around.
3. Something took the egg from the hens are to where the rooster is planning to eat it, but for whatever reason didn't and left it behind.
At this point I'm not excluding anything, even alien intervention. But there is an explanation for everything and I intend to find out this one. And the egg could not have been laid by a hen or moved there by another chicken as this bird is isolated from all others and has been for the last 3 weeks. Like I said in a previous post the only other bird that has a chance of getting in his coop is a sparrow and if a sparrow laid that then like I said I would expect to see exploded Sparrow all over the place. But I do agree there's an explanation for this and whether it is something simple as a mistake by me or if there's something else going on here like a mistake by nature. Either way I do intend to find out. Keep y'all posted, thanks for the feedback.

Only 3 options I can think of if there was no human interference.
1. The egg was already there.
2. A hen laid an egg in there or near there and it got moved around.
3. Something took the egg from the hens are to where the rooster is planning to eat it, but for whatever reason didn't and left it behind.
But let me say I highly doubt it's aliens. Don't want anybody to think I'm that crazy.

Attachments

• IMG_20230828_131603258.jpg
    IMG_20230828_131603258.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 101
Well sorry it took me a couple days to get back kind of had to work. So this is a picture of a second egg that apparently got laid and then broken and he must have eaten it. I have not done the venting because to tell you the truth I'm not real good with that. That is why this bird has an appointment with the veterinarian. I will have this bird professionally sex and then I will post the results.

Well sorry it took me a couple days to get back kind of had to work. So this is a picture of a second egg that apparently got laid and then broken and he must have eaten it. I have not done the venting because to tell you the truth I'm not real good with that. That is why this bird has an appointment with the veterinarian. I will have this bird professionally sex and then I will post the results.
Buddy you may not be that crazy but someone is pulling your chain. Hard.

I have not done the venting because to tell you the truth I'm not real good with that. That is why this bird has an appointment with the veterinarian. I will have this bird professionally sex and then I will post the results.

Vent sexing does not work on adult chickens anyway.

But if you look at the vent-- just literally spread the feathers and look-- you can generally tell a layer from a non-layer. To see the difference, look at some hens that you know are laying (vent should be relatively large, and look moist and stretchy), then look at some birds you know are not laying (could be roosters, broodies, pullets that have not started laying). The vents of the non-layers should be smaller, often somewhat puckered looking, and it generally looks dry and non-stretchy.

Of course the difference in the vents has a practical purpose-- which one can stretch enough to let an egg come through! But if you check the vent of the bird in question, and it looks like a layer's vent, that is good evidence that the bird really is laying. If you check the bird's vent and it looks like a non-layer, that increases the odds that the eggs are coming from some other source.

I think that is why someone was asking for a photo of the vent, so they can see what size/shape/texture it has. It is not really a gender test, more of a laying vs. non-laying test.

As regards other methods of sexing, you could also try a DNA sex test:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/
You send them a smaple of blood or plucked feathers from the bird, they check what chromosomes are in the DNA, and you get the answer. For all birds, males have sex chromosomes ZZ and females have sex chromosomes ZW.

Vent sexing does not work on adult chickens anyway.

But if you look at the vent-- just literally spread the feathers and look-- you can generally tell a layer from a non-layer. To see the difference, look at some hens that you know are laying (vent should be relatively large, and look moist and stretchy), then look at some birds you know are not laying (could be roosters, broodies, pullets that have not started laying). The vents of the non-layers should be smaller, often somewhat puckered looking, and it generally looks dry and non-stretchy.

Of course the difference in the vents has a practical purpose-- which one can stretch enough to let an egg come through! But if you check the vent of the bird in question, and it looks like a layer's vent, that is good evidence that the bird really is laying. If you check the bird's vent and it looks like a non-layer, that increases the odds that the eggs are coming from some other source.

I think that is why someone was asking for a photo of the vent, so they can see what size/shape/texture it has. It is not really a gender test, more of a laying vs. non-laying test.

As regards other methods of sexing, you could also try a DNA sex test:
https://iqbirdtesting.com/
You send them a smaple of blood or plucked feathers from the bird, they check what chromosomes are in the DNA, and you get the answer. For all birds, males have sex chromosomes ZZ and females have sex chromosomes ZW.
Thanks for your reply, that is most helpful! And if this is a sex reversal I would think that vent checking may not be as accurate as it would be in a normal chicken but then again I'm no expert. That's why the bird is going to see a veterinarian and be examined medically to determine whether or not this bird has the plumbing to lay eggs because that's pretty much all the internet is going to take seriously, medical documentation from a licensed veterinarian.

Back
Top Bottom