I can not believe my horse escaped her new stall!

It's almost funny...but only for a second. I want spring. We finally saw a tiny piece of the yard and then it snowed last night. It's been melting slowly which is good. The barn aisle gets flooded and then freezes which is challenging.

I drove my daughter back to Morrisville and really no one else has snow left except here.

I'm so worried about this horse trying to get out. It's just not like her. I've never owned a mare. I'm concerned about putting her in with the boys. I don't know what to expect. I am such a woose.

I guess she was feeling her vinegar and decided to expore.

Suzy

love.gif

I think she's in love with the one gelding (Handsome Harry). I can't let her get clingy though, or I'll never get to trail ride alone.

She is very posessive (sp?) with her goats and even with the chickens. She has her favorite chickens and if they leave her sight she whinnies.

Quote:
BP, typically the mare would be fine with the boys. They might fight over her affection, and of course there could be some shuffling for alpha status. Mares can often be the alpha in a trio with two geldings, but not always. I bet it is scary to put them altogether, but ultimately maybe you can try it. Horses are so much happier when they have companionship. Even though she has goats and such, there's nothing like another horse to make them feel safe and secure.

I hope you can get the webbing tomorrow. I think that is a great idea.

Good luck!

Flame me if you want but don't think the webbing is a great idea. If she jumped over the stall gate, she certainly will try over the stall webbing. Were you thinking about putting it above the stall front. Horses are crazy for getting into trouble and she might end up getting caught in it and really injuring herself. I just would hate if something happened to her for you, so think carefully about it. You might just have to get a full stall door or the dutch door like you said. I would put her out with supervision at first with the boys. I think if she had a buddy next to her in a stall she would be okay at night.

I know I probably worry too much and am over protective. I so want them to all co exist happily.

I have an idea for the stall door. My run in barn has an iron 1/2 door, hay feeder that I may be able to use as a top for her door. I just turned the tack room on the run in barn into my banty coop so I wanted to change that door anyway. I'll try that after work tomorrow. I'm pretty sure it's smaller than the opening, so I may have to modify it.

Then the challenge is building a quick door for the banty coop.
smile.png

Quote:
She's always been fine in her stall wherever she lived. I think she has a crush on Harry
smile.png

She has her three goats on the right of her and the chickens on the left.

(sounds like a song)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
No flames from me... I'm not a huge fan of the nylon webbing either. Way too much potential to get hung up, the open sqares leave plenty of room for a hoof to go through. In the event of an emergency you have to pray the hardware breaks quickly because the nylon certainly won't. I much prefer the solid rubber ones with the 4 snaps with extra rubber coated chain guards on top. You might also consider a metal mesh gate or as we call them a screen, they offer ones with a "U" design allowing a horse to put their head out. You hang it on the inside of the doorway to swing in as most dutch doors swing out allowing you to use both.

Back
Top Bottom