I CAN SEE HER SKULL! pullet with head wound....

Chicken Fruit

Songster
10 Years
Feb 25, 2009
Echo Homestead
I just found my welsummer pullet with a crescent shaped gash on the back of her head that made a pocket the size of a quarter that is clear down to her skull. She's fine, she was quite content when I found her, eating and doing whatever it is chickens do...

I put blukote on her and cleaned it, and clipped the feathers away from it, and then put triple antibiotic ointment IN the pocket and then sealed the edge back down with superglue... She's in confinement with water and feed and some grapes to snack on cause theyre the chickens favorites.

Spose I should start her on some antibiotic? What kind should I use if I do? Just an amoxicillian or what?

Whats your thoughts?

Here's some before shots. Its perfectly fine looking now. It sealed up quite nice and clean.

3546803980_3da2f0beb6_b.jpg

3545997127_3af11591ed_b.jpg

3545996811_5f6bc17e02_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I had this happen with my Cornish pullet. I think it was a hawk trying to grab her.
barnie.gif
I probably wouldn't have superglued it down, in case it tries to abcess, but hopefully it won't hurt. I did the same thing you did, besides that, though. I basically "glued" it back on with Triple Antibiotic Ointment, and kept it moist and clean for a few days til it started sticking together on its own. I also kept her in the garage in the dark to let her rest and heal.

Good Luck!

Shelly

I think she'll be okay. The skin on the head is surprising thin and since there's no muscle to hit it just goes right to the bone. As long as there is no damage to the skull itself she should be fine. I wouldn't bother to put her on an antibiotic unless it starts to fester. It should heal very quickly seeing as it's just skin. Keep putting Neosporin on it, that's all the antibiotics she'll need. Furazone (think I totally butchered the spelling) is GREAT too. I use it on my dubbed birds and they heal twice as fast.

I had a young RIR pullet get caught between the garage and some fencing, and while she was trapped the others picked her head down to the skull. I brought her in the house, cleaned the wound with saline and put neosporin on it. She healed nicely with a small scar, and I reintroduced her to the flock with only a few "dust-ups". She is fine today, and is just as sassy as the rest of them.
smile.png
I'm very hopeful your little lady will heal just fine.

Quote:
I am thinking its either him, or something sharp i didnt realize is in the yard. he doesnt have spurs, but he's been mounting the HECK out of any hen thats laying down or otherwise not paying attention.

It wasnt a predator because I was out holding each of them, and then inside with the door open (theyre right outside the door penned up) and didnt hear any ruckus.

Iam betting it was the roo.... should I curb him some how? He mounted my favorite EE the other day and pulled a mass of feathers off her neck! turd!

Okay.... now there is some sort of thing that automatically edits certain words in our posts. Even something as benign as another not swear word for poop. Thats insanely obnoxious.

Last edited by a moderator:
you know what else, i noticed while I was dressing her wounds that she has feathers between her toes coming in! I didnt know welsummers werent clean legged.... or are they?

Quote:
They are. She probably just has stubs, which are random dinky feathers that randomly grow in between the scales. Usually means the birds have some sort of feather legged ancestor. Pluck em or leave em be.

Back
Top Bottom