I Can Sex Your Silver Laced Wyandottes!!

Is this helpful?

• Yes!

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Kind of/ Not really

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you need help sexing your SLW? Please, go ahead, post some pictures and I can help!
It's not as hard as some people make it!
hello have you tried sexing silver wyandotte by their feathers on hatch, i was told by a wyandotte breeder you could do this, cockerels will have yellow tinge and pullets will be greyish.

Hi LilJoe. I could use some help. It's my first time with SLW. I received 4 as part of my XMAS Hatchery Adoption Special. They are 7 weeks old today. I was expecting 4 males due to availablity. I planned to put them in the freezer! Now, I am not so sure. One seems unlike the rest. Did I end up with 3 pullets and 1 cockrel? Or am I mistaken?

Attachments

• IMG_3321.JPG
    IMG_3321.JPG
    665.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3323_2.jpg
    IMG_3323_2.jpg
    810 KB · Views: 23
Hi LilJoe. I could use some help. It's my first time with SLW. I received 4 as part of my XMAS Hatchery Adoption Special. They are 7 weeks old today. I was expecting 4 males due to availablity. I planned to put them in the freezer! Now, I am not so sure. One seems unlike the rest. Did I end up with 3 pullets and 1 cockrel? Or am I mistaken?
Looks to me like 3 hens a rooster, I am a suspicious of one of the ones I'm calling a hen though

I'm thinking I have 3 hens and a roo as well but I didn't know if there was any tips to sexing them? I see a difference in combs and feathers, but one of the supposed hens may be developing early? I thought maybe the breast feathers would be determine sex. Not sure if my recent pics help?

Attachments

• IMG_3439_2.jpg
    IMG_3439_2.jpg
    463.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3442_2.jpg
    IMG_3442_2.jpg
    463.7 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_3441_2.jpg
    IMG_3441_2.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3438_2.jpg
    IMG_3438_2.jpg
    471 KB · Views: 19
I'm thinking I have 3 hens and a roo as well but I didn't know if there was any tips to sexing them? I see a difference in combs and feathers, but one of the supposed hens may be developing early? I thought maybe the breast feathers would be determine sex. Not sure if my recent pics help?
I think the combs and wattles are the easiest and most accurate way to sex them. Feather sexing only works sometimes, when it's accurate the cockerels feather a bit slower.
IMG_2413.JPG This one that I've circled I think looks like a cockerel, compared to the one in front (definitely a pullet), his comb is much wider, and the wattles are bigger

In my opinion (which doesn't really mean much because I'm no expert, I just watched how my silver laces developed recently lol) I think these 2 I've circled are cockerels
IMG_2415.JPG And the other 2 that haven't been circled are pullets based on comb and wattles

It's funny that you replied today. My birds are 8 weeks old today. Over the weekend I sold quite a few birds and moved 3 pairs of pullets from the brooder to my coop (Breeds: Welsummer, Australorp, and Barred Rock). Having less than half of the original group in the brooder; I was able to determine that I had 2 definite SLW pullets and one definite roo. I added the 2 pullets to the coop today. The other 2 SLW will end up in the chicken tractor and processed after 8 more weeks. If the questionable SLW turns into a pullet, I'll probably sell her outright since she'll be a bit older than I'd like her to be for transitioning into the coop. The questionable chick is the one you circled in red. I have another SLW that is definitely redder, but I know some males take longer to mature and some females mature early!

In my opinion (which doesn't really mean much because I'm no expert, I just watched how my silver laces developed recently lol) I think these 2 I've circled are cockerels
View attachment 1263129 And the other 2 that haven't been circled are pullets based on comb and wattles

We are thinking along the same lines! I'll update in a few weeks if anything changes.

Back
Top Bottom