I can't seem to peel my hard boiled eggs - page 8 Solution!

Vinagar, put a little in the water when boiling the eggs, or poke a small hole in the shell with a pin before boiling!! I have tried both and work well on fresh eggs. My hubby LOVES egg salad in his lunch box.

I haven't tried ths with really fresh eggs yet - won't have that luxery 'till next year - but it usually works - not always, but usually. First cook your eggs - don't boil, but bring cold water and eggs to a boil, and remove from the heat; let sit in the hot water for 15 minutes approx. Pour off the hot water, and run cold over the eggs. Crack the the shells all around, and let the eggs sit in cold water for awhile. Usually they are are easier to peel after this treatment; something about the cold water making the eggs recede from the cracked shell, I think.

The only way I hard cook eggs is to steam them. Fresh eggs will peal easily and it takes no more time than the boiling method.
big_smile.png

Salt in the water lowers the boiling point of water. the more salt added,the lower the boiling temp,but this only works up to a certain concentration of salt to water. 1 teaspoon salt to one quart water will lower boiling point 22 degrees to 190. The reason you want to lower the boiling point is to lessen the chance of the sulphates of iron and copper from precipitating out of the egg yolk. Since copper sulphate is bluish tint+yellow yolk=green ring between yolk and albumin(white). Iron sulphate is greyish-brown tint+yellow yolk=black ring.
Distilled white vinegar is used because,the acetic acid present in the vinegar,breaks down the carbonate molecule,thus releasing the calcium and making the shell easier to peel since it is now thinner than when you started.
The advice to plunge the cooked,not boiled,eggs into iced water is valid since this causes hot/cold surface tension that cracks the shell;thereby assisting in easier peeling of the fresh egg.
All y'all take care.

Why do you peel? Why not just blow them out? You smash one end then smash the exact opposite, peel a little hole on each end. Peel off a little of that shell. Put youre lips to that hole and blow a deep quick breath and out pops the egg from the other smashed side. Just don't blow to hard and shoot it across the room
lol.png

Bubba

I have tried 3 methods so far and none really work on my fresh eggs. The membrane sticks to the white. I was very careful and saved most of the white, but it's definitely not working. Here are the ways that I've tried: I've boiled and then placed in ice water; I've boiled in salt water and followed the ice water method; and I've pin pricked the eggs and done basically the same.

I'd like to try the vinegar, steam and 'blow it out the other end' methods, but I'm short on eggs now. (burrr it's cold in the north and my smart gals are saving their energy.)

Anyone out there want to give these other methods a try?

How do you steam an egg anyway?

Quote:
Get a steamer basket like the kind you would steam veggies in. Put about an inch of water in the bottom of a pot (enough to reach just below the basket). Boil the water. Place the eggs in the basket, and put them in the pot. Cover and let steam for about 15 minutes, longer if the eggs are bigger. Take the basket from the pot and submerge in cold water. When the eggs are cool you will be able to peel them easily - even fresh!
smile.png

Thanks Sunnychooks. I'll get one for myself and my DIL. My little grandchildren like hardboiled eggs, but only the whites! And it's really a problem when you lose about half of the whites when peeling.
barnie.gif

My little grandchildren like hardboiled eggs, but only the whites!

McGoo,
Seems that you left out this one salient fact;that would have made the solution easier to solve. Why not try shirred egg whites? Separate egg yolks and whites;keeping whites. Take some oven-proof cups and spray with some butter flavor pam. pour whites in cups leaving an inch from top of cup. set cups in flat-bottom pan or casserole. set in preheated 375 oven middle shelf. pour boiling water into pan but not into cups up to level of egg whites. Cook until opaque white in middle or inserted toothpick comes out cleean no egg. Can be served direct from cup or onto toast.​

Back
Top Bottom