I could smother him with a pillow! UPDATE (GOOD/BAD)

jjdward

How bout them DAWGS!
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Buchanan, Georgia
My grandfather moved in with me and my mother about a year ago. Now before I go any father, let me say this. I love him very much. I know that God will not put me through anything that I can't handle. Now, since thats out of the way I'm going to start my rant.
barnie.gif

Like I said, my mother lives with me. She had a heart attack about two years ago and she is not really 100% but she works a job at an assisted living home anyway. My grandfather was in that assisted living home for about a year. He hated it. He said that it just wasn't home. Now at the time, it was just his body that had failed him. He was in a wheelchair and only needed help getting a shower. Other than that, he could do pretty much anything. Well after a while, we started feeling guilty and deceided to move him in with us. He was so happy.
big_smile.png
Well for about the last six months he has just about drove me and mama CRAZY! He thinks that he can go outside and do anything he wants, he does nothing that we or the Drs tell him and then whines about his health. I got a brand new lawn mower when I got my house about 18 months ago. When he first moved in, he said that he just wanted to drive it around my yard just to get out of the house. Well he turned it over in a ditch. About three months latter, he got on it while I was at work and cut the grass. He ran over a canvas tarp and all the heat form the friction from the blades caught the tarp on fire and almost burned my mower up. In the process he tried to get to the spicket to put it out. Well he ran it over and broke the pipe off in the ground. Then about a month ago, he cut the grass again,and he ran over some scrap electrical wire and ruined the brand new blades.
somad.gif
he.gif
th.gif

It has gotten to the point that I hate to even come home. My chickens are really all that have kept me sane (if you can call it that). I feel bad for getting mad at him because there were many times when I was little that if it weren't for him and my granny, I would have went without food and clothes. My Granny died in 2002 but I can tell you that if she were here, Papaw wouldn't be alive, she would have killed him by now.
barnie.gif
I guess I just needed to get this out. I do ask for your prayers so that I don't smother him with that pillow.
wink.png

PS: If anybody wants an old man to look after, let me know.
old.gif

ETA: My Mama, Uncle, and myself are planning to take to a local Dr and have him checked on Monday. Keep me in your prayers till then. I'm think that we will put him back in the assisted living home he was in.

Last edited:
Ever think about hiding the keys? I know it's tough to deal with family sometimes. I have a MIL that lives within walking distance of my house. I have many stories of how she drives me crazy, but have to remind myself she only lost my FIL a year ago and she has to be very lonely. At least you are a kind person to have taken your grandfather in to live with you.

I have to laugh cause I think you are talking about my Grandpa
smile.png

Grandpa will be 88 this year and apparently no one has told him how to be old.

So occasionally he has to be rescued by the fire dept....once cause he got stuck on the roof...2 years ago. He decided to clean the gutters.

Or the EMT's have to cut him out of the bathroom cause he didnt put his hip brace on and the hip popped out of the socket

Or by my Aunt who found him in the backyard this summer on the ground in the dark after he decided to weedwhack and put his other new hip out.

My best advice is love him for who he is, realize that he isnt going to change...even a little bit... and lock all of the pillows up!

*hugs* cause I know it isnt easy.

can you disable the mower, or 'lend' it to the neighbor for a while? I got my own old man, but for now he fixes things and runs over a few! He wants something to do! Too bad he won't cross stitch:lol:

Hang in there and put the mower keys in your pocket. See if you can find some safe chores he can do to feel useful and keep him busy. If he feels he has a purpose he might be a little easier to handle.

I just want to say I feel you girl! I just moved my mother from Florida back to Texas to be closer to family (WHY?!). She and I have never been close but I am her only daughter and she needed help. She has physical and emotional problems so really she should be in an assisted living facility even though she is only 59. She assured me she would be fine in an active living community. WRONG.
barnie.gif
Everything that could go wrong has and everything else, she has brought on herself. I don't think I will even go into all the trouble she's gotten herself into just since the second week of July but let me tell you it is ridiculous. She wanted to live with me and my husband and two girls. THANK GOODNESS I didn't agree to that. Currently she is not speaking to me because I asked her a question about her spending (I have power of attorney that she gave me). I am enjoying the peace and quiet until she decides to forgive me for trying to take care of her.
roll.png

Have a good night.

chickenjones

You could get him a hobby? Like carving wood or something with a pocket knife or painting or something? Maybe puzzles or word searches? Books?

I learned my lesson about the keys. They are in my safe. The problem now is that his mind is starting to slip. I have already told mama that as soon as she gets like that, she is going to a nursing home out of state. ~!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

Sorry for your frustration, but your story-telling skills are stellar!
lau.gif
I'm sorry, I know it's not funny! I just can't stop laughing...
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom