I don't have much of a coop but is this ok?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Forrest_Flock, Jul 16, 2011.

1. Forrest_Flock

Forrest_Flock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    It's not all fancy like some of the types I've seen on this website, it's more of a little shed with a steel roof and a long stick between two of the walls, chickens like to sleep on that sorta stuff, right?

I've got a bit of a garden they can free range in, but not much lawn, does that matter? Just weeds and some tufts of spiky stuff... dude, I can't garden [​IMG]

2. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    I'd say that is a good start.They have a place to sleep and shealter from the weather.They don't care if it is fancy,just as long as it satisfiies their needs.Modify the coop as you learn what is needed for their protection.Feed and water them and the run is an extra.Chicken houses for production doesn't have runs.Take care of them and thew'll be happy.Good Luck

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    It's not important that your coop is not fancy. It is important that they have enough room so that they are not crowded, that they have nest boxes, some place to roost, and very important - enough ventilation. It's also important that it is predator proof.

Your chickens also won't care how much of a landscaper you are! They love weeds. [​IMG]

4. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    hey,
    my flock is in a dog run 4x12 I have tarps on tight for a roof and screening on the east side for shade, and I have cat cages inside with roost in them, they can go in and out as they like from the cages to the run floor... I have a dog house set up about waist high for a nest box and ya know they have no idea its not fancy smancy,, their happy and healthy... they go out in the yard during the day ( unless Im not home for all day) and they are in bed by 8:30 every night and I just go give each of them a little love and petting individualy saying their name when each has had their "mommy loves you time" I close the door for them.. they each know their own names and come when they are called..[​IMG] so ya I think your just fine for a start.[​IMG]. I plan on building and getting a better coop but were good right now....

blessed be
    )O(
    Pink

ps [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2011
  5. Forrest_Flock

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    each has had their "mommy loves you time"

[​IMG]

Thank you everyone
    I will be sure to give them as much time as I can spare

Well am I glad I don't have to go out there and plant a lawn [​IMG]
    We get a lot of grusome bugs and things in the weeds, most of us don't go down there at all!​

6. trooper

trooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Staunton,Va
    They will be good on keeping the bug population down and it's done naturally.

7. Rustywreck

Rustywreck Chillin' With My Peeps

Don't know what diameter stick you have between the walls, but consider replacing it with a 2X4 for roosting - they'll like the wider, flat surface.

8. Forrest_Flock

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    The stick's quite square, it's flat across the top and maybe an inch wide. is that ok?

I imagine they won't be going out there until they are older.

9. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    All I can add is that I had smaller roosts for night time, and when I read on here to make it wider, I seen my ladies have a much better time getting up on them, and happier. They have gotten wider, as they aged, and it is just easier for them:)

My coop is adequate. I love it, and agree also that you make changes as you get to know them. I have made several. They adapt. I have adapted for them. I am new to the chicken world, and love it.

Good luck. Have fun, and they are a hoot to watch! LOL

10. Forrest_Flock

Jul 15, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I guess I will just have to see then, if they fall off I will get a new stick [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by