i dont know what happened

wasoncethewine

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 11, 2014
I have 10 Welsh Harlequin eggs. Today is day 29 and none of them have pipped. The eggs look exactly as they should, dark and only the air sac is seen while candling. I cracked one open and its totally formed, but no movement. There is also no odor at all. I have no clue what happened. Does anyone have any insight? I dont think i want to try this experience again, its way too depressing.

images

Welcome to BYC!

Did you open your vents wide open at lock down? Usually deaths at full term is caused either by improper ventilation and or low humidity. The chicks need a ton of oxygen to hatch, and the high humidity keeps them from sticking to the inside of the shell. I am sorry that your hatch didn't go well.

You might want to do some chatting in our duck section here on BYC for more help with your duck eggs next time...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

Sorry about your eggs, but I do welcome you to BYC!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! So sorry about your hatch, it is very disappointing to have a bad one. You've gotten some good suggestions above about things to check. Also you might want to take a look at the Hatching 101 article in the Learning Center. www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101 Do try again, it is not unusual to have incubation problems for one reason or another, and most of us have had failed hatches or problems, but the successes do make it worth while.

Back
Top Bottom