I don't think this is splayed leg. Please Help!

madgabmomma

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
SE Texas
I had my first broody hatch yesterday morning and I noticed right away that this little guy was having trouble. I left him with momma until this morning when I found him in the corner of the nest box shivering.I tried to upload a video but couldn't get it to work. He can't even stand let alone walk. He just stiffens up when I put him on his feet and then falls back. When I hold him though he moves his legs just fine. Is there anything I can do? I know some people just cull them, but I know with splayed leg they can be helped. I have not had to cull a baby yet and I know it could be inevitable but I don't want to if it can be saved. Please help!
hu.gif
hu.gif

Last edited:
Don't worry about video, just try and post some pics. This sounds like something I had to deal with recently, it may be a slipped tendon. Does it move around at all? Does it crawl? Please post some pics so we can help.

This may be a slipped tendon, I had one a few weeks ago that I tried to save for 4 days but I couldn't
sad.png
her hocks got very swollen and infected, yours look pretty good yet. One way to find out for sure is hold the chick and feel the joint, hold it between your fingers and kind of pinch/roll it, don't be afraid, you may feel the tendon pop in and out of the groove it sits in. Sometimes you can pop it in and it's fine, but a lot of times it will need a splint. You can also try extending the leg out, that can make it pop back in too. Here is a link to a thread that shows how to treat it https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=201834. If it is not the tendon then I'm not sure what else it may be
sad.png
I sure hope this helps. I hope someone else checks this out, a second opinion would be good.

I ended up culling
sad.png
she just started chirping really loud and nothing I did seemed to help. I felt like she was suffering and didn't want her to keep suffering. It was aweful but I know it was best in this case. Thanks for all you're help and info!!

Back
Top Bottom