I feel like a heel.

HobokenChickenEmergency

Songster
10 Years
Mar 18, 2009
Evansville
My in-laws are moving this weekend, and they recuited my husband, J, to do all the heavy work. His brother lives 13 hours away, and his BIL had to work today, so it's just him and his parents.

Originally all of us were going to go, but our 3 yr old has a really bad cold. Plus with all the kids along, I'd be running crowd control instead of helping, so we're on our own this weekend.

I didn't have a problem with him helping, per se, and I LOVE my in-laws, but J has a really annoying habit when it comes to going to his parents' house. He likes to leave the SECOND he gets off work on Friday. Normally, it's just a minor annoyance. This time, though, we got in a HUGE fight about it. For one, I wanted to go grocery shopping before he left. Maybe I'm a horrible mother, but I'd rather chew my arm off with my bare teeth than take all these kids to the market by myself. Especially on a weekend.

I won the fight. Since his bag was packed anyway, I sent him on a guilt trip.
hit.gif
Works every time, and I got to shop in peace.

Fast forward to this morning....

I called J to see if, hypothetically, he could fix the pool pump cord if, hypothetically, his wife happened to run over it with the mower. Of course he can, because he's a brilliant man!

Then he asked if I wanted a set of glasses. Well sure. We have a concrete floor, so we can always use more glasses.
tongue.png

He called back a few minutes later to see if I wanted his mom's coffee tables. These are no ordinary coffee tables. They were bought in Germany when his dad was in the army, and shipped over here at great expense. The tops are glass-encased, and under the glass are little people and villages carved into the wood and stained red and green and yellow. They are EXTREMELY valuable, and I always assumed his parents would keep them until the day they died, but his mom knows I like them (and there's no room for them in the new house), so she thought I might want them now. I'm flattered! I think she's crazy, knowing how hard our kids are on furniture, but I'm flattered.

He called again an hour later and said his mom was going to talk to his dad about giving him his car. A car! But not just any car. It's a red 63 (67?) Ford Falcon. J has been lusting over this car since he was a kid, and now it might be his -- with the condition that if he ever wants to get rid of it, his dad has dibs. They were going to sell it, but his mom would rather keep it in the family. My 7 year is going to die of happiness because he, too, has been lusting over that car since first he laid eyes upon it.

Now I feel bad for giving J such a hard time about leaving when he did. But how was I to know he'd be coming home laden with coffee tables and glasses for his ungrateful wife?
duc.gif

At least he doesn't have to mow when he gets home.

Last edited:
Hey..don't beat yourself up too bad ~ when you give of your time freely and unselfishly, it comes back to you. You mowed the grass for him, and kept the kids at home which probably made it easier for the moving as you stated. When you can, do something special for the inlaws.

Last edited:
That's what's really sad. I mowed as kind of a guilty offering, and all I did was make more work for him! I swear, that cord jumped right under the mower of its own accord.

We've had nothing but rain all week, so the grass was LOOOONG. And of course it's a hidden obstacle course out there, what with the toys strewn everywhere. I don't know how he does it every 2 weeks without going crazy.

You should just enjoy all the wonderful things you were just given! I does not sound like your husband is angry with you at all.

I remember when my kids were little~~grocery shopping, especially with the extremely active son, was very difficult & shopping that could take me 30-45 minutes would end up being a much longer "ordeal," for sure. So, from another mom's point of view, I think you did need to go shopping alone. And everything worked out OK.
smile.png

BTW, those tables sound beautiful!

Awww! Like chickens4me said it doesn't sound like he is upset with you. He has forgotten all about it and so should you.
love.gif
How wonderful that it is all working out and you get some beautiful tables out of the deal! You do know that now you will have to post a picture of them! Just kidding! Hey, relax and enjoy your blessings!

Thanks!

I'm going to make his favorite chili for dinner when he comes home tomorrow. He deserves it! Especially because I KNOW he said something to his mom about those tables. His sister lives right down the street from his parents, and it would have been a lot easier for them to give them to her than to haul them all the way up here for me (they all live in Tennessee, so it's kind of a hike).

I don't think he was mad at me once we got past my yelling, but I know the tear factory annoys him even if it IS effective. I just hate feeling manipulative.

Disclaimer for the inexperienced wife: Tears are only to be used as a last resort. With frequent use, they lose their potentcy.

Back
Top Bottom