I finally heard an egg song

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by beach livin', Dec 15, 2011.

1. beach livin'

beach livin' Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2011
    Manteo
    my second girl started laying today, and man oh man is she a singer. the other layer was looking at her like she was crazy. it was a big deal in the coop this morning [​IMG]

2. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    [​IMG] It's hilarious isn't it.

3. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    Congratulations. [​IMG]

The egg songs sorta died down a few months ago. I think the chickens can sense when the neighbours start to get annoyed. [​IMG]

Although nowadays they're laying at times like 5-6AM, so heaven knows if I'm just not awake to hear it. [​IMG]

4. CarolJ

CarolJ Dogwood Trace Farm

Jun 3, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    Yep - once you hear the egg song, there's no mistaking it! My hens don't make a lot of noise, but occasionally they'll do the egg song.

5. instar8

instar8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    N.IN
    I used to be concerned when i heard it, cuz you'd think Wile E Coyote had come to call or something...i miss the egg song, none of my newer girls do it..yet!

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I am so jealous that I never hear the egg song in relation to eggs being laid! I have heard it ONLY as a OMGOSH I WAS SCARED call.

7. HCFarms96

HCFarms96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    One of my chickens sounds like a duck when she lays [​IMG]

8. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I love it!!! The whole flock goes into chaos. The hens are singing their songs and the roosters are crowing. I love to sit at an open window and listen to them. They are so proud:weee

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by