I get my first chicks on Thursday! - Now with chicks and pictures!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by LittleChocobo, Jun 13, 2010.

1. LittleChocobo

LittleChocobo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    I finally managed to find some local (enough) silkies on Craigslist (these ones in particular) and the breeder is also selling me a blue splash chick that's the same age as these. I'm so excited! Now I have to get that watermelon box instead of the box I already have for the brooder!

Now I get to kick it into overdrive and actually get more than about a single side's worth of wood, and get a LOT of hardware cloth!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  2. dreamwallaby

dreamwallaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Camden County NJ
    Good luck with your chicks! and your new addiction [​IMG]

3. silkiesRawesome

silkiesRawesome Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    SO jealous that you're getting a Splash!! The breeder I got mine from didn't have any [​IMG] Must post pics when you get them! [​IMG]

4. LittleChocobo

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Thanks! I'm so excited. My new addiction besides BYC you mean?

I promise I'll post a picture as soon as I bring them home! It may be taken with my phone though. And taken in the car. On the way home on the 90-minute ride. >>
    Then real pictures the next day, haha.

5. silkiesRawesome

May 23, 2010
    lol! sounds just like me! i got my first chicks ever about a month ago and did the same thing! [​IMG]

6. LittleChocobo

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    Here are all five:

[​IMG]

I suspect the larger buff and the white of being roos. They were standing taller than the others and pecked at me once we got home.

7. silkiesRawesome

May 23, 2010
    AAAAH! SO cute!!! [​IMG]

lol, my advice is: don't even BOTHER trying to sex them yet! you'll drive yourself nuts guessing (like i did). wait for an egg or a crow [​IMG]

Congrats and enjoy!!

8. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    What a nicely color varied flock! [​IMG]

9. LittleChocobo

May 31, 2010
    Hillsboro, Oregon
    SilkiesRawesome: Hahaha, I bet. Problem is, if they're all living in the same coop -- I won't be able to watch them all the time, so how will I know who laid? Anyway, I hope that the white is a girl - then I can keep her! [​IMG]

Yay Chicks!: Thanks! I was thinking the same thing when I saw their ad. I'm pretty pleased with them. Once I figure out how to post pictures onto my BYC page I'll be posting them there.

10. silkiesRawesome

May 23, 2010
    It sounds like, based on what people were guessing my chicks are, that when the pom on their head looks round its typically a girl and if it slants backward it is likely a boy. SO, if that's true, I'd be your white is a girl [​IMG]. It actually looks a lot like mine except mine is partridge I think and not all white, but they have the same poms. My white is named Glinda and she's a TOTAL spaz! If you figure out how to make yours like you, let me know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by