I got my chicks today!

fluffpuffgerbil

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
Battle Ground, SW Washington
Despite the 6+ inches of snow we got yesterday, our feedstore got their chicks in today so we decided to drive out there and pick out our little puffs. We got 6 chicks total: A Buff Orpington, an Ancona, a Silver Laced Wyandotte, a Gold Laced Wyandotte, a Black Australorp, and a Rhode Island Red.

The RIR has QUITE the voice, and a lot to complain about, but I just adjusted the temp in the brooder becuase it was a bit too hot, and for now she's quieted down. Five of them are pecking at their feed while the little Ancona(who just got to the store this morning) is drinking the water.

Here are a few pics of them!

That's the ancona

RIR falling asleep with the ancona in the back

The RIR's butt is on the corner of the pic there, then in order, there's the australorp, wyandotte(not sure if gold or silver from this pic), and ancona

I also added another more open dish of food since they don't seem to fancy their trough feeder right now. They've eaten out of it, but they like the waterer tray one better. They all have found the water so I hope that everyone will be alright and happy! My first time with chicks so I hope to do everything right. They're very soft and tiny. =D I need to get more pics of my BO who is the one I was most excited about getting!!

I don't have names for any of them yet either~

Yep, these are my first chicks, birds, etc, ^^ But I have experience with all sorts of other animals

edit because I had to leave real quick before finishing this---

I bred geckos and have a bunch of reptiles and I also have rodents, cats, dogs, and we just got a rabbit, so yeah, these are our first chicks, but I'm definitely not new to animals in general, but I still am scared of doing something wrong!! I definitely felt prepared before I got them, and I still feel mostly prepared, we got a 50lb bag of feed, the water electrolytes and vitamin packs, and a bunch of pine shavings, and I'll be working on a grow out pen/ hoop coop soon so they can live in that until we get the permanent coop built, but I'm definitely looking forward to them! I'm trying to leave them alone a bit, but they're fun to watch and play with.

Last edited:
They are absolutely adorable,have fun with your babies.

Since you are a new chick owner i am going to recommend you look up information on pasty butt and Coccidiosis. I would also suggest keeping some Corid(amprolium) on hand or at least know where to purchase it,in the event your chicks have an overload/outbreak. Cocci kills very fast,but is easily controlled if treated immediately. Coccidiosis is the leading cause of deaths in chicks,so know the symptoms.

I have buff orpingtons they are like little puppy dogs,my girls love to be held and cuddled all the time,they know their names and will come when called. Very sweet and docile,one of my favourite breeds. I also have silkies which are another very sweet and docile breed.

Last edited:
adorable! take lots of pix they change so much every day! I used paper towels on top of the shavings and changed them often at someone else's suggestion, made it much easier to keep the shavings and chicks clean!

Thanks everyone---

I'll be sure to do some researching on pasty butt and coccidiosis(Which I'm guessing is sort of like the chicken version of coccidia in reptiles?)

And I definitely will take a bunch of pics! Also, I was going to use paper towels over the shavings for the first few days, but they found their food and water quickly and haven't eaten more than just a couple itty pieces of shavings.

And the buff O is so fluffy wow *,* And the GLW carries herself in a very well composed way.

I'm definitely hoping they'll be as fun to take care of as everyone says they are ^,^ I love them at this size, but am excited to see them grow up, too.

Back
Top Bottom