I hate my town (stray cats and corrupt bureaucrats)

sorry to hear of your situation. perhaps these two words can help: great pyrenesse.
they sure saved my flock.

The trick is to get someone in the gubment to actually, you know, DO something.
I am sorry but the way it reads at first is that the town was run over with ferrel cats not just from your neighbor.. you do have a right to have chickens but should you if you can't stop all the cats in town that are bothering you.

I hope you can get the animal control to help you but it sounds like they don't care or do not have the funs to deal with all these cats you have around.

That's crazy, I've never heard that you're not allowed to use your own traps. Can you trap them and move them into a cat carrier and bring them into Animal Control as a stray that way?

I am sorry but the way it reads at first is that the town was run over with ferrel cats not just from your neighbor.. you do have a right to have chickens but should you if you can't stop all the cats in town that are bothering you.

I hope you can get the animal control to help you but it sounds like they don't care or do not have the funs to deal with all these cats you have around.
Didn't have a problem until the neighbors started feeding them! I've had chickens for two years now!

my great pyrenees idea was shot down, probably correctly so, so let me throw something else out. buy one or two have-a-heart type traps - or rent a couple if a neighboring town's feed store rents them out - and catch the cats in your own traps. then take the cats to the animal control center in another town. just keep quiet about it, as no one else needs to know. if the person in charge of your city's traps should find out about it, be loud about the fact that you have asked to borrow the city's traps and have been refused their use. if push comes to shove, remind her that she stated that she has loaned the city's traps out to her friends, leaving you no choice but to get your own traps. i doubt she will want to take the issue any further, as it will only show she's not doing her job. if she does challenge you, you can take the position that you will remove your traps when the city owned traps are loaned to you. be sure and document all requests you have made to the city for the traps.

this sounds like a vigilante type solution, but the only alternative is to wring your hands while you sit by and watch your flock get killed. your city is derelict in its responsibility to you, which is why this situation exists. chances are good that you won't be discovered anyway. good luck, and mum's the word.

Use your own trap.(Its still humane I hope ) Trap them and shut up(as in tell no one). Im done here. I mean this in the nice way. Last post here.

I vote for a dog...feral cats reproduce so much that you will find yourself going to animal control with cats every day in your traps. Or, better yet, wait get rid of the chickens and wait until you do live in the country where you have freedom to eliminate predators as you see fit (with a .22) and where your chickens have more space.

I really need to figure out a way to dispose of these cats. Perhaps trapping them secretly and then taking them out to the country to 'dispose' of them with my 22? .

Not much of a secret now is it? Anyone can send a link to your thread to the city,neighbors, or sympathisers of the cats.YOU could now be suspect in any cases of stray cat deaths.

You have vented and feel a bit better.Might want to get this thread deleted and take care of your issue. Lol,on not using your own trap.I heard of renting traps.I did at the start,but to not allow the use of your own? People in power do as they please.

Venting helps but sometimes it is best to not talk about an issue with ANYONE,figure out the options,and take action privately.

I love cats,but an over population,or even one daring stray cat can cause issues.Attacking your animals,peeing up your foundation,leaving worm filled feces in your garden beds.Roamers are no good.Good luck!

Last edited:
We live in the country and our county has a barn/feral cat program, so they release all the feral cats out here. Last year I got two very young kittens, male and female siblings, and put them in my coop, after about a week my girls quieted down and got used to them being there. The kittens lived in the coop and run for 6 months, the chickens became their family, and now they roam the yard, and sleep in the coop at night. Earlier in the winter, 4 cats tried to come onto my property and were very quickly attacked and sent on thier way, even a young female cat, wasn't welcomed.
The siblings are very bonded and Orion, the male, wont let any male cats come close to his sister, or his territory. And Luna, the female, sends all other female cats scrambling.

Back
Top Bottom