I hate my town (stray cats and corrupt bureaucrats)

downing in not peaceful take it from some one who almost did when a child its scary and try gasping for air and only getting water and with any death in the end your brain release chemicals to cause you to mellow (cant think of the legit terms at this second) my pet rats and are dying and suffering during it my brother comes down and puts them down for me with a pellet gun to the head its fast. the only thing if your dont a good shot or cant do it for instant death and only wound them like in leg or stomach then they too dye a very slow painful death and normal not is the place where they were shot and you them your neighbors will notic and if they find out its you can turn you in and you are looking at massive fines and charges for animal curlity or even time in jail depending on your laws. I still say dogs are best bet but that too takes time.

get some trapes dose the dog pound have a drop off pen for night time drop offs? if yes get trapes trap cats drop them off at night or early am at pound. I would also go back to pound and if possible have recording device on and get her to say it again about only giving to her frinds the traps so you have a defence or take it to next town hall meeting. I dont want to get anyone fired but if she is not doing her job maybe its time to get soem one who will and who can handle these wild cat in a human way.

I do have empathy. Some other adjectives might be reality, efficiency, safety, as well as the ability to see feasible options. Se of you may have heard there is more than one way to skin a cat, so to speak. Depending on the parameters of your situation you may find one that works better for you. If you have a weapons ban in place, some weapon restriction areas here are wrote and enforced that you cannot use a slingshot! No mechanical, air or powder propelled projectiles. Most people can't hide their cars in the back yard, and I am not advocating running your car in the garage with the door closed. You are right I have never drowned, but I've also never been shot in the head or gassed. Do you think the people in the concentration camps just went to sleep? They were found in piles fighting. It is just another solution to a given problem it is up to you to find the best one for you given the parameters in which live.
I would assume they were in piles from trying to fight their way out before being overcome by gas, I don't see how you can compare gassing an animal to large quantities of people being murdered, people have intelligence and the ability to reason, they knew what was going on and would obviously try to escape, until the gas overcomes them, then they most likely would pass out a die where they stood. People die in their sleep of CO posioning all the time, if it were a violent death I'm sure it would wake them up first. It obvioulsly isn't an ideal way to kill a pest, I still say shooting is the best however I do say gas is a more human way to go about it than drowning. Like I mentioned before, even if you are in town where you aren't supposed to be shooting guns there are exceptions to that rule in defense situations, those rules are ment to prohibit hunting and target shooting and people causing criminal mischief with guns, I don't think that law would apply to someone shooting in defense of their life or life of a pet.

Last edited:
I have heard that drowning is actually pretty darn fast...I mean one gulp of water and it's all over...your lungs are defunct and then you are dead...So probably not as awful as one might think...
so far wrong that you have no idea. How long do you think an animal/person fights in panic prior to taking that 'gulp of water'. Yeah, I've been there - drowning is a horrible death.

@ theduffelds, I do appreciate your opinion on the subject, however you should consider your own opinion as well. Drowning is very fast and they say humane. You method will terrorize the animal as its probably not used to taking car rides and would be terrified the whole way. Not to mention chances for making a mistake.

I haven't a clue who would say that drowning is humane, but as someone who worked as a vet's assistant, just to let you know, it isn't. I've almost drowned myself and it was far from pleasant.

Knittycat: I think a visual barrier would be a good idea. And since we were on the subject of water, lol, they do sell motion activated water sprinklers. One hit with the water sprinkler and the kitties would be hightailing it out of there, and after getting watered a time or two, would think twice about coming back.

for what it's worth you might want to look up your local ordinances. I looked at the town you live and googled it. I spent about 5 minutes on that site and I know what your rights are as a citizen of that town. you might also find that your neighbors by law are not to feed those cats and that animals 12 weeks and older have to registered and vaccinated or they have to go. maybe you should attend a town meeting about your situation. either way you have lots of rights as a pet, livestock, chicken owner!!

I can tell you that drowning is quite quick. I've seen it. I do agree that shooting is absolutely the best solution. I am trying to offer another alternative for someone who may not have one. Sorry to the two people who "almost" drowned I have no idea what that would be like. But you as a human knew to hold your breath until you could again surface. Glad you did. Otherwise we could not be having this discussion! If you shoot a animal in the head, say in your garage(as has been mentioned) the heart will usually continue to beat for up to a minute until all the blood is gone. This is a horrible mess. Also we all have a responsibility to safety and due prudence involving it. Consider what will happen when the bullet exits, hits the floor thus ricocheting, to where? You? Your kids? Car? House? We have people among us who maybe can't or shouldn't own firearms, they still need options that are humane and safe to dispose of problematic feral or wild animals. You would have a hard time convincing any judge you had to shoot a firearm in self defense to kill a cat in a cage. Thanks for all the feedback, but keep in mind our experience here is not exactly the same as all things we share our world with.

I can tell you that drowning is quite quick. I've seen it. I do agree that shooting is absolutely the best solution. I am trying to offer another alternative for someone who may not have one. Sorry to the two people who "almost" drowned I have no idea what that would be like. But you as a human knew to hold your breath until you could again surface. Glad you did. Otherwise we could not be having this discussion! If you shoot a animal in the head, say in your garage(as has been mentioned) the heart will usually continue to beat for up to a minute until all the blood is gone. This is a horrible mess. Also we all have a responsibility to safety and due prudence involving it. Consider what will happen when the bullet exits, hits the floor thus ricocheting, to where? You? Your kids? Car? House? We have people among us who maybe can't or shouldn't own firearms, they still need options that are humane and safe to dispose of problematic feral or wild animals. You would have a hard time convincing any judge you had to shoot a firearm in self defense to kill a cat in a cage. Thanks for all the feedback, but keep in mind our experience here is not exactly the same as all things we share our world with.
That is what I am getting at...I feel like the panicked state for an animal is much less because they instantly keep trying to breathe, so are dead before they realize they can't get air per se...a few bubbles and then nothing...a human will fight and fight..and then we start to lose consciousness and then our body forces us to gasp, and then that is it. I grew up on a lake and there were many times I was strained for air, or stuck under the water and couldn't get up...and that is a panicky feeling...but if your first reaction is to gasp in a huge lungful of water, then you are instantly dead...no fear to be had.

Also as I just read through these posts on this thread, I couldn't help but wonder... People are talking about letting their boys take potshots at them with their longbows, and multiple references to the other illegal activity of under trained people with under powered weapons shooting them on the ground on sight. How often does your local news or social media have a story about a cat showing up with a bullet or arrow on it? I hear this way to much. My guess the wounding rate with the previously mentioned method is exactly zero, not bad.

Back
Top Bottom