I have not lost anymore hens after making these changes

Michael A

Chirping
Jun 12, 2019
Lake Asbury , Florida
All 6 hens from my first year died 4 from egg yolk peritonitis.

Chicken ownership was tough on my chickens physically and me emotionally the first year as I lost chicken after chicken. I had my perches too high and one fell off, a predator got into the fenced in area and got one but the disease was the worst. I read thread after thread trying to determine what was causing my chickens to get sick. I still don't know for sure which change made the difference or a if it was a combination but for the past year or so I have not had one hen get sick and all 8 have fluffy bums.

Changes

1. Water, the water in my area has Ph above 7, I bought a meter and use citric acid to reduce it to 4.5 to 5.5., now there is less slime too.
2. I added a bit of grit and calcium directly to their feed additional to leaving it out to nibble on.
3. I added Poultry Probiotic to their food and Hen Helper to their water.
4. I keep a close eye on their poop and bums. At the first sign coccidiosis in any one of them I treat the flock with Amprolium, about every 6 months.
5. Twice a year for two weeks i add Harris food grade diatomaceous earth to their feed to kill any other parasites

I also limit table scraps to green vegetables. Before I was giving rice, pasta, tomatoes and strawberries. I am not saying you shouldn't but I stopped and perhaps I was giving too much but I was not sure what was causing my hens to get sick, so i stopped. It's ok though, there are other treats i give them that are 100% safe. Greens, scratch and dried meal worms. They still love them.

I am not a chicken expert by any means but I am really happy with chicken ownership now that I have healthy hens.

These are some of my girls enjoying a bath.

Attachments

• IMG_4038.JPG
    IMG_4038.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Diatomaceous earth is useless as a dewormer. It's not really useful overall.

Also, it's best to not mix oyster shell, & grit in their feed. Those are supposed to be offered separately free choice in a container, or feeder.

Just a tip.
I use diatomaceous earth for 2 weeks a year. Many people use it year around to kill parasites. I give them a low ratio of grit and ground oyster shell. I follow the directions Purina gives except half on the ground oyster because i had a couple of hens with soft shells that didn't eat the ground shell I offered I half the grit too . //apppa.org/feeding-grit Opinions on best practices differ. I use a tablespoon of each per kg feed... I did modify my post to note that i use a "bit" of grit and ground oyster. I just want to make sure all my hens are getting enough. My hens are very strong and healthy, eggs are great.

@MysteryChicken What is the question/tag for?

@Michael A I'm glad that you have found some solutions to your keeping methods and haven't lost anymore hens.
Just wanna run over some information about Diatomaceous Earth, & not mixing grit, & oyster shells in the feed is all.

Just wanna run over some information about Diatomaceous Earth, & not mixing grit, & oyster shells in the feed is all.
The DE will do nothing but perhaps kill bugs in the feed. Mixing any addition to the feed is basically force feeding the addition. I would not make the water slightly acidic. Also, adding probiotics to the food and water? Why? The list of changes was what changed but no mention of what the feed was/is. The twice a year treatment for coccidiosis puzzles me. Mine don't even get medicated starter.

What information?

Since the OP has found solutions and has put into place practices that are working for their situation/setup and flock(s), I see no issues.

What information?

Since the OP has found solutions and has put into place practices that are working for their situation/setup and flock(s), I see no issues.
Well, DE doesn't treat parasites for one, & adding grit, & oyster shells to the bird's feed isn't giving them the free choice. Too much grit, isn't a good thing.

Back
Top Bottom