I just have to show off my rooster flock.

Noellereagan

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jun 20, 2018
Big Bend, Wisconsin
Yup. You read that right. I have five roosters. They know I’m queen of the hill and that’s all there is to that. They get along outside of a little chest bumping now and then. Otherwise, they’re inseparable. They’re so darn fun to have around. Roosters are underrated if you know how to be around them in my opinion.
A82D5656-C1C6-4C9C-BEAD-33B39A8001EA.jpeg
F0A7A870-06A9-4E8C-81E8-BF4E98ABA6B1.jpeg

Attachments

• 8C9729AD-31A7-4405-8D0B-E0689EDF6EF1.jpeg
    8C9729AD-31A7-4405-8D0B-E0689EDF6EF1.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 72E50E31-71FB-4877-A8D8-CEA20BD914D8.jpeg
    72E50E31-71FB-4877-A8D8-CEA20BD914D8.jpeg
    493.1 KB · Views: 18
Yup. You read that right. I have five roosters. They know I’m queen of the hill and that’s all there is to that. They get along outside of a little chest bumping now and then. Otherwise, they’re inseparable. They’re so darn fun to have around. Roosters are underrated if you know how to be around them in my opinion. View attachment 1469962 View attachment 1469964
What handsome roosters

Beautiful boys , but no hens ? Must be loud ....are they different with no one to protect?
Loud doesn’t begin to express the noise level! but we have no neighbors. So that’s good.
We actually have two banty hens. Everyone said that they’d take a beating coming breeding season. So far so good. That take no funny business. Maybe because they were raised together? I don’t know. They also have a lot of room. But boy oh boy- do those five roosters protect those two hens from anything that could be perceived as a threat. Everything from our resident dog and cat to birds above and even guests to our home. They watch everything. It’s great to see them work together. A few will go at the “threat” head on and the others will sneak up behind. And heaven forbid they discover a threat- I could be five miles away and hear them calling for help. I swear they know that I’ll come running It sounds crazy but I think they figured it out and actually call for me.

Good looking boys and great photos! Agree that roosters are great to have around.

@RoostersAreAwesome put together a "Rooster Flock" thread for rooster flock keepers to share ideas, Q&A's, and photos of their flocks. Come and check it out sometime.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/rooster-flock-thread.1221382/
Thanks for the link. I really enjoyed his post! I adore my roosters. If I ever have an issue (which it seems I’m all good in that regard) I will rehome the hens before I choose from my roosters.

Beautiful boys , but no hens ? Must be loud ....are they different with no one to protect?
But I will say this- they are guardians of the property. They fully respect- and I think actually like- those who reside here. Other people on their turf - not so much. Be it human or animal. If one of us are around they run over to be sure we don’t need backup and then are okay and go about their business. But I’ve been told they don’t let people out of the car if we’re gone. Of course I have 8 heritage turkeys too. They assist in that protection task- even though they’re young. All I know is this- we have a territorial Shepard- and a big one with a loud bark- and strangers are more afraid of the birds. But they all know their place with me. The trick is to not be in fear of them. Acting like the boss you are is the key to success. There’s power in chain of command. Have they tried to make me their lesser? Of course. They had to. But they also learned in a hurry that this is not an option. The only time they run at me is if I call them. And when I do- they come in a hurry. They’re great.

Back
Top Bottom