I might be a new mom tomorrow! Need Advice

UllrsMom

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 6, 2014
OK, so after thinking that one of my ladies had been taken by an eagle or something for two weeks, last week I found her in a woodsy area of the yard, sitting under the lilies and on fourteen eggs. My best guess is that today is day 20. I have one coop with a large run, one rooster and four other ladies. I have put a big feed trough in the coop with a light, chick food, water, etc-- I could put poultry netting over it. My questions is, should I move the eggs and mom into the coop so that if they hatch out in the night they are safer? Leave her alone? Bring in the chicks and mom after they hatch? I am happy to let the broody hen do the work of raising the chicks, but I want to make sure they are reasonably safe. What a surprise!

Gosh, she seems to have everything under control and if it were me, even though it would drive me NUTs, I'd leave her where she is for the time being. Perhaps after the hatching is over with, after a few days you might consider moving her and the babies to a safer location. Be sure to post pics of the little fuzzy-butts!!
frow.gif

What a happy suprise! I agree with the above post. Good luck with the little chickies! Post pics.

OK, so after thinking that one of my ladies had been taken by an eagle or something for two weeks, last week I found her in a woodsy area of the yard, sitting under the lilies and on fourteen eggs. My best guess is that today is day 20. I have one coop with a large run, one rooster and four other ladies. I have put a big feed trough in the coop with a light, chick food, water, etc-- I could put poultry netting over it. My questions is, should I move the eggs and mom into the coop so that if they hatch out in the night they are safer? Leave her alone? Bring in the chicks and mom after they hatch? I am happy to let the broody hen do the work of raising the chicks, but I want to make sure they are reasonably safe. What a surprise!
welcome-byc.gif

Tell us if you will how many chicks your hen hatched out of the 14 eggs. Nests located on the ground in my opinion have better hatches than nests in straw filled boxes that are up off the ground. BTW, 14 is almost the optimal number of eggs for a hen to incubate, your hen should do well. Leave her alone at this time. There is no safety in moving the eggs if the disturbance kills the embryos inside of the egg or causes the hen to abandon them. It seems that you have already reconciled yourself to the loss of this hen, so let her do what hens have done for ages yet unknown. That is to bring baby chicks into the world on her own terms..

Gosh, she seems to have everything under control and if it were me, even though it would drive me NUTs, I'd leave her where she is for the time being. Perhaps after the hatching is over with, after a few days you might consider moving her and the babies to a safer location. Be sure to post pics of the little fuzzy-butts!!
frow.gif
I totally agree. If I knew that one of my missing hens was out of the coop sitting on eggs, I would be going absolutely crazy! I would probably bring out a sleeping bag and sleep right next her until the eggs hatch
lol.png

We are in the same situation except with two hens (we were out of town and the house sitter didn't even know they were missing!) and 38 eggs(!!) between the two of them. They started hatching on Monday and so far have 4 chicks :) and yes, it did just about kill me to leave them where they were, but so far so good!

We are in the same situation except with two hens (we were out of town and the house sitter didn't even know they were missing!) and 38 eggs(!!) between the two of them. They started hatching on Monday and so far have 4 chicks
smile.png
and yes, it did just about kill me to leave them where they were, but so far so good!
YAY!! Pics please!!
wee.gif

So far out of the henn sitting 22 we have 6 successfully hatch. Mom got tired of waiting I think and abandoned the nest to feed/water the live chicks because after 2 days of a cold nest I pulled the remaining eggs today and several candled with fully developed chicks (dead obviously). She is, however, beeing a very good momma thus far so I am considering it a win.

The other hen is still sitting her clutch and I am assuming there will be littles any time as she hasn't been spotted off of her nest in 2 days :)

Back
Top Bottom