Don't be fooled by marketing of these products. We use goat and horse wormers for our chickens. We use fish amoxicillin for our chickens. We use amprolium marketed for pigs and cows for our chickens. And I'm currently using a cortisteroid given to me by a friend he found in his medicine cabinet that he'd been prescribed several years ago.

It kind of reminds be that back when I was a child, it was not permitted for girls to wear slacks that had a zipper in the front of the crotch, only the side or back because GENDER ruled! Seems incredibly stupid now, but that's how clothing was marketed. Don't get me started on why women's jackets still have the left pull zipper and the men's all have the right pull. I guess women are all born left-handed.
You're kidding! Damn! I mean I know about the clothing thing (and yet we still can't get pockets in our jeans). But how would you use wormers meant for horses for chickens? Those usually go by the weight of the horse, unless there's another form? But I must not be too far off, using something meant for parrots for chickens and adjusting the dosage by their size as opposed to weight (too many numbers, too much math, and I have nothing to weigh my babies save for my own hands). Hell, I even give my chickens wet cat food when they're sick for a few reasons: it has the vitamins they need, they love fish which contains what they need, and it provides a taste they'll be more than happy to engulf (I go for the healthy brands like Tiki Cat, Purina Beyond, anything without byproducts).

This is all good to know, and way more info than I've gotten from both Reddit and Facebook. I'll still try the vet tomorrow, IF I can grab an appt, and maybe I can get Tylan through them.

Don't be fooled by marketing of these products. We use goat and horse wormers for our chickens. We use fish amoxicillin for our chickens. We use amprolium marketed for pigs and cows for our chickens. And I'm currently using a cortisteroid given to me by a friend he found in his medicine cabinet that he'd been prescribed several years ago.

It kind of reminds be that back when I was a child, it was not permitted for girls to wear slacks that had a zipper in the front of the crotch, only the side or back because GENDER ruled! Seems incredibly stupid now, but that's how clothing was marketed. Don't get me started on why women's jackets still have the left pull zipper and the men's all have the right pull. I guess women are all born left-handed.
Just responding on the clothes thing, have no clue about the chick. Woman's clothing has the zippers and buttons on the opposite side because back, a long time ago, many woman needed help to get dressed. I'm talking 15th,16,17th century stuff. All the corsets and dresses woman wore, had to be buttoned by someone else, the woman couldn't reach. So, clothing for woman was made to make it easier for the helper to button it, not the woman wearing it. Guess that just stuck around. For the chick, I do hope you are able to help it!

Just responding on the clothes thing, have no clue about the chick. Woman's clothing has the zippers and buttons on the opposite side because back, a long time ago, many woman needed help to get dressed. I'm talking 15th,16,17th century stuff. All the corsets and dresses woman wore, had to be buttoned by someone else, the woman couldn't reach. So, clothing for woman was made to make it easier for the helper to button it, not the woman wearing it. Guess that just stuck around. For the chick, I do hope you are able to help it!
Thanks for posting the interesting history of the zipper. It goes to show we humans hang onto a custom much, much longer than it makes any sense to. It also may indicate our attitudes about women haven't changed much from the time when women were either drudgery servants or pampered pets.

UPDATE:

So I've been using this ointment I got called Hen Healer, which is multipurpose and can be used on most wounds. I decided to start slathering Pepper's leg last night and a few times today; another reason was that she was having some skin flaking off the botton of her foot. Kinda like dry, dead skin like we get. I think that, plus the Enrotex Broad Spectrum antibiotic in her water, is starting to have some kind of effect. She's trying to put weight on the afflicted leg! I can't tell for sure, but I think some of the swelling went down too, but I think I may need to try and pop this thing again at some point.

On the flip side, I could not get a hold of any vet (psst, DO NOT CONTACT LAVENDER MOBILE VET). The only one that could even see her was the expensive but close one, and sadly the only window open was when I was at work. As much as I don't wanna contact a certain other vet because of what happened with our ferrets in the past, I may have no other option. I'm also thinking maybe I should have my neighbor give her the penicillin, since I don't wanna make her wait. She's still doing amazing. A little quieter than usual (so maybe she was in a bit of discomfort), but still her silly little self. Trills a hell of a lot more now, haha!

(I'm sure you see "Blue Formula" on the container. Yes, it is in fact blue colored, so her leg gets dyed blue XD. The screenshots are from this morning. I'm sorry but, how can you call yourself a vet at that point?)

Attachments

• 20210408_202751.jpg
    20210408_202751.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20210408-090649_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-090649_Messenger.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20210408-090700_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210408-090700_Messenger.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom