There's a respiratory illness called Mycoplasma synoviae. The respiratory symtoms are often mild and go unnoticed. But the real damage occurs in the legs and feet where fluids accumulate, causing swelling. The treatment is an antibiotic called Tylan or Tylosin soluble powder.

This is just a guess. It's carried in a flock and is contagious. The chick may have picked it up in the previous flock. Untreated, if this is what it is, it will continue to get worse and the feet may swell next. That's one way of diagnosing - wait and see what develops. Or you can treat for it just in case this is what's causing the swelling.

If it's an injury, it should heal as long as infection is prevented. Soaking in warm Epsom salt could also help, if this is an injury.
That's an odd one. Amazing what these illnesses end up doing. The powder sounds familiar, I'll have to see if I can find it. All I have is Enrotex, a broad spectrum antibiotic that I got for one if my roos when he got sick (and it worked beautifully), alongside Thrive (sick bird formula). I give her a very small amount on Turmeric powder in her food.

Why does the joint look exposed? Did you remove a scab on her leg? Can you check her other leg to see if same anomaly appears there also?
Her good leg is healthy. When I saw it, I thought maybe it was an abscess and tried popping it, but no puss came out.

There's a respiratory illness called Mycoplasma synoviae. The respiratory symtoms are often mild and go unnoticed. But the real damage occurs in the legs and feet where fluids accumulate, causing swelling. The treatment is an antibiotic called Tylan or Tylosin soluble powder.

This is just a guess. It's carried in a flock and is contagious. The chick may have picked it up in the previous flock. Untreated, if this is what it is, it will continue to get worse and the feet may swell next. That's one way of diagnosing - wait and see what develops. Or you can treat for it just in case this is what's causing the swelling.

If it's an injury, it should heal as long as infection is prevented. Soaking in warm Epsom salt could also help, if this is an injury.
Sorry, gonna double reply this. Looks like the only Tylan I can get is $56, and is Tylan 200? Other than that, I need to order it.

In addition to soaking in epsom salts a course of antibiotics might be in order.

In addition to soaking in epsom salts a course of antibiotics might be in order.

Triple reply 'cause I'm stupid: would penicillin work? My neighbor has some.

No, penicillin is a weak substitute. Tylosin is the best one for this bacteria. You can get it here. https://www.jedds.com/shop/tylan-soluble-100-g/
Penicillin, weak? Wow, that's a first! Looks like the Tylan I found is meant only for cattle and swine, and either way I'm waiting for this stuff. I'll start her on Enrotex, since it's all I've got, and start some warm towel wraps. Hopefully I can help her beat this.

Don't be fooled by marketing of these products. We use goat and horse wormers for our chickens. We use fish amoxicillin for our chickens. We use amprolium marketed for pigs and cows for our chickens. And I'm currently using a cortisteroid given to me by a friend he found in his medicine cabinet that he'd been prescribed several years ago.

It kind of reminds be that back when I was a child, it was not permitted for girls to wear slacks that had a zipper in the front of the crotch, only the side or back because GENDER ruled! Seems incredibly stupid now, but that's how clothing was marketed. Don't get me started on why women's jackets still have the left pull zipper and the men's all have the right pull. I guess women are all born left-handed.

Don't be fooled by marketing of these products. We use goat and horse wormers for our chickens. We use fish amoxicillin for our chickens. We use amprolium marketed for pigs and cows for our chickens. And I'm currently using a cortisteroid given to me by a friend he found in his medicine cabinet that he'd been prescribed several years ago.

It kind of reminds be that back when I was a child, it was not permitted for girls to wear slacks that had a zipper in the front of the crotch, only the side or back because GENDER ruled! Seems incredibly stupid now, but that's how clothing was marketed. Don't get me started on why women's jackets still have the left pull zipper and the men's all have the right pull. I guess women are all born left-handed.
When I worked at a spay/neuter clinic (mostly did ferals for trap and release), we routinely used a supplement labeled for horses in our foster kittens. Same stuff you can buy for cats/kittens, just "apple" flavored instead of whatever the cat one is...having used both, kittens usually prefer the apple flavored one better too. It was cheaper to buy the big "horse" tubes too...

Back
Top Bottom