1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need coop ideas for 40 chickens

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BaGAWK!!, Feb 19, 2012.

1. BaGAWK!!

BaGAWK!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    Philadelphia, TN
    I am looking for photos of your coops that house 40 or so chickens. Half are banties. I'll be building a new coop and would like to house them all together. Please send me photos of your coops or any plans that would accommodate that many. Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I'd want at least 10'x16'. You should be able to find what you need in the coops section above, in large coops. I'd build with the roof slanting across the 10' span, one end high, one low; makes the construction simple and give a good vent if the eaves are covered with wire at the high end.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2012
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I'd want what I have, a dedicated chicken barn. 20x24 with dual lofts for straw, chip bale, equipment storage. See my BYC page.

4. sfh11

sfh11 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    Greenwood, Arkansas

Excellent page and a lot of good information.

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    A coop like the one below, if built to the original design (10X16ft), can handle 40 birds.
    Jack

6. beefmaster

beefmaster Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2012
    you can build a 14 by 14 or a 16 by 16 coop an have more than enough room for 40 chickens.banties only require about 2ft a bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by