I need feathers

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by brianz, Oct 8, 2011.

1. brianz

brianz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2011
    My 9yr old daughter and I are making a Halloween costume for her, a Hippogriff (half bird half horse) and I need a lot of gray and white feathers. I been searching but seem to only be able to locate very clean and very fancy feathers that are also very expensive. Does anyone know where I can get not so perfect, but inexpensive feathers in a fairly large quantity????

Please respond via post and e-mail: [email protected]

Thanks!

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I'd just go to the fabric store and buy shaggy fabric.

However, when you are looking to purchase anything, it really makes a difference if you give the location where you hope to find it. You'd be welcome to come and rake the dirty feathers off the ground here, but am I close to you? I'm not about to rake them up, package them, drive to the post office, and ship them to you.

3. brianz

Oct 8, 2011
    Shaggy fabric just wouldn't make a very impressive bird.

I understand that I am not talking to large commercial poultry operations, but certainly there's somebody with a pile of feathers who could actually take a little time to rake up a trash bag full and UPS them for a few bucks plus shipping cost. ....and yes, I've already cleaned up my Northern California locals.

4. LadyTurkey

LadyTurkey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    GreatFalls
    I only have bronze and white feathers [​IMG] And not that many either, other wise i would gladly help you out!!!

5. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I wish I had gray feathers because I would take the time to rake them, drive to the post office and send them to you. The post office isn't far from me and I don't mind the exercise raking.

Try the Emu and Ostrich section! I'm sure they have some.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2011
  6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I have a bag of barred rock pullet feathers , almost all the feathers from a small bird I could ship you, and I might be able to find some others around here(I have over a hundred chickens, but who is counting?) Anyway, you can send me your email and I will try to get a picture. Let me know if you need just white or just grey or if black and white is ok or what. Halloween rules!:) Deb

7. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    Next weekend I am butchering two blue slate turkey toms. But I don't think the feathers will be any good post scald. I can pluck the more magnificent tail and wing feathers though before I scald, if that'll help you! With only two birds, won't be enough for a costume, though.

A costume of Buckbeak just sounds so amazing, by the way!

8. brianz

Oct 8, 2011
    Any one who has feathers can e-mail me at [email protected]
    If possible, a photo of what you have would be excellent!

E-mail me and we can make a deal... at the least I will pay for shipping.

Buckbeak! Yes, my daughter will be Hermoine on a Hippogriff. We formed the wire (chicken wire) frame for the bird head and front legs today. If you are familiar with Buckbeak you'll see that it's mostly light grays and white feathers interspersed with darker gray and black but I think any feathers will be impressive.

I'd prefer not to get to many feathers under 4 inches but I cannot afford to be very choosy!

9. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You might try second hand stores, dollar stores and craft stores for inexpensive boas. Also this time of year you may find inexpensive feathered Halloween costumes, that you could scavenge from.
    The best I can do is about 8 feathers, but you are welcome. Just PM me an address.

Imp- Good luck

10. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I have Silkies and Showgirls, does it matter what type of bird?...I have whites, Splash, Blue, Porcelain and Lavenders

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by