I need help!!! Two day old chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chris Hernandez, May 17, 2017.

1. Chris Hernandez

Chris Hernandez Just Hatched

May 17, 2017
    I have a two day old chick that hatched late. When I went to put it with his mother and the rest of the chicks, the mother pecked it. Eventually I snuck it under her at night, but when i found it in the morning it was in a corner bleeding. The chick has 3 open wounds 1 of which is severe. The first one is on his back, you couldd see his spine, and the feathers and skin is gone. The other one is on the back of his head which is not as severe, and the third is his nech that is completely featherless and was bleeding. He was doing better when we got him a heat lamp but now he can not lift his head up at all, and does not even chirp when i pick him up. He is only two days old and will not drink or eat. I have cleaned the wound, and put hydrogen peroxide, and neosporin. He is not moving very much and will not stand up. He won't even open his eyes.

2. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    It might be best to end his suffering.

3. I'm hoping for the little baby :fl

I disagree, KISKISGIRLS.
    I think maybe, just what and see till tomarrow.Give the little one a chance.

KikisGirls likes this.
  4. Chris Hernandez

May 17, 2017
    Thank you guys, he is hopping around and will run to one side and lay down for five minutes, now he is just laying down not making any noise, im not sure how to treat the wound or what to do now, so i am open to any suggestions.

5. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    It's wonderful to have hope that it is going to make it, but the way I read the injuries, it doesn't sound too good in my opinion.
    I personally would not want to watch it suffer for days and die.
    It is totally up to the OP how they want to proceed.

6. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    OH....I thought you stated it was not moving and didn't open it's eyes.

7. Chris Hernandez

May 17, 2017
    I agree I just think that it just needs time, I will give it a day and if not then I will have to do what is right.

8. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    If he is up moving around...try to make sure if is getting plenty of water..and eating.
    Offering him some vitamins like Nutri drench should help him to help his body heal.

9. KikisGirls

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Keep putting the neosporin on it.
    I would keep him by himself til he heals too.

10. Chris Hernandez

May 17, 2017
    He refuses ot eat, he is only two days old. He drank a bit of water too. He is quarantined already. Someone told me to give him sugar water, but how much sugar and how much water?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by