I need help with chick food please.

Jul 4, 2021
6A775A0A-E202-421D-9DE4-961A326DF496.jpeg

I could someone please help me. I’m hatching Chicks and I asked my dad to get some growers mash and he bought this he told me it is definitely growers mash. But a while ago when I raised three silkie chicks they had stunted growth and the breeder said thus feed was the problem. I was wondering if any one could tell me what I could add to this to make it nutrious. It’s said fowl mix one on the bag. Thanks.

I can’t find any other growers mash any where else they are all sold it really big bags and my dad dose not want to get large amounts. The food my adult birds are eating is pellets could I add that in with this one.

View attachment 3019243
I could someone please help me. I’m hatching Chicks and I asked my dad to get some growers mash and he bought this he told me it is definitely growers mash. But a while ago when I raised three silkie chicks they had stunted growth and the breeder said thus feed was the problem. I was wondering if any one could tell me what I could add to this to make it nutrious. It’s said fowl mix one on the bag. Thanks.
Does it have a guaranteed analysis on it? With protein, calcium, vitamin, and amino acid levels?

Do you have access to a "starter" mash? Grower is sometimes lower in protein than starter, here in the US.. Were your Silkies fed treats also or just the mash? Treats can diminish the nutrients in the mash. Adding your general location to your profile may help folks make their best suggestion possible or even rouse some locals with local knowledge of what's available to you.

Did the Silkie breeder have a better suggestion of what should be fed locally? Got any pics of what the stunted growth looked like at what age.. so we can see if that was seemingly accurate or if their growth was normal but just didn't match your expectation?

Stunted growth.. were they just small or was their feather growth compromised?

When are you chicks due to hatch?

Fruit and things is fine at a certain age and at NO more than 5% of total daily intake.. preferably not too young.. again this is HOW the formulated nutrients in the feed ration get diminished.. which compromises not just growth but ALL things immune system related. Remember that feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.. reduced protein.. stunts growth and immunity. Fruits are delicious.. but so is bugs, fish, meat, scrambled or boiled and smashed eggs. Protein from animal verses plants do not have the same amino acid profile.. and chickens are omnivores.. Balance without excess treats is recommended.

i Think I sent a picture of the bag that is all that was on it. I think you can get starter feed there. I live in south africa east london. i gave them some crushed sunflower seeds and a little bit of lettuce not a lot. my eggs are due to hatch on Tuesday next week. I sent pictures to the breeder when they were four months old and he said that they were to small for their age. And this is the food
5E33A5B0-02DE-4F69-BAB0-432CAC5241F7.jpeg

This is them at six Months I think

9957D425-0C0D-4E76-A376-ADE1296D8EC9.jpeg

this is them at four months⬇️
975E0163-09DB-4E59-90FD-8486A03A0FD2.jpeg

Newly hatched baby birds won't be able to eat that - if you had a way to grind it down to powder, then you could mix with water and offer that. Chicks really need chick starter. And no, the chicks shouldn't eat the adult's food, as it probably has too much calcium.

Back
Top Bottom