I now have poisin ivy because of my coop...

ragerkid2

Songster
8 Years
Apr 16, 2011
Johnstown Pa
My father and I are building a coop for the 17 chicks we have. I was in my woods getting rocks to put around my coop and the next few days i found out the hard way that im allergic to Poison Ivy
hit.gif
. I have it all over my body! Im so itchy! It is awful. Completely awful!!!! I bought an ANTI ITCH cream... My chickens better freaking lay 1903892901230000000 eggs a day
hmm.png

O well Hopefully this wont last long... Any thing to help clear up Poison Ivy??

Last edited:
Try Cortizone-10 ointment it may help. Otherwise get to a doctor because the stuff can get really nasty if it gets internal. I'm fortunate in that I'm not allergic but my wife, who has had desensitizing treatment for it, is very much so. BTW, chickens are immune but can carry the oil on their feathers--something to thing about if they are going to free range. Good luck.

if its really all over your body call a doc. that stuff can really take a toll on you.

As a kid that got it every summer. I am VERY sorry. Phels Naptha Soap. Calmine lotion. Oatmeal baths. Keep your hands in cloth gloves. Slap do not scratch. Do not touch your face!

Add a cup of Clorox to a tub of bath water. Soak and dry off gently. It helps dry the poison ivy up. If you get the clorox treatment right away after being exposed, you might not even break out. Good luck.

This is the first year in a dozen that I haven't had it yet.
We have had rain almost every day this spring, or I would have been out playing in it.

It can get bad in some folks, like my daughter, she had to get a steroid shot last year for it.

EDIT*( It can be in your clothes and on your shoes, so wash them good.)

Last edited:
I agree with the others in regards to the suggestion that if it's all over your body, see a physician.

Having had bouts of this every year for the past 35 years, I've found that simply running hot water over the rash helps tremendously. The myth that one needs to avoid hot water as it causes the rash to spread is just that; a myth.

Get in the shower and very slowly turn the water up as hot as you can stand it without scalding yourself. You will feel about 20 to 30 seconds of intense itching as the histamines in your skin are released (histamines are what causes the itching). Then the itching will cease until the level of histamine builds up again. This will take anywhere form 4 to 6 hours, giving to some peace to sleep at night if the shower is taken right before going to bed.

Normally a bout of poison ivy/oak/sumac will last about 2 weeks for me. Since using the "hot water" treatment, the rashes are significantly dried up by the end of the first week.

You have my sympathy on this one!

Gail

Internally? Oh my. Alls I have is anti itching cream. And it is soooooooo so so so so freaking itchy I can't help but scratch. The itchy ness is going down science I got the cream...

Back
Top Bottom