I overcame the fear of getting baby chicks!

I went to Rural King and back the next day with Hubby! and had decided to go for the experience of baby chicks! I never heard of the Starlight Green egger! (Hoovers Hatchery and PS: asked them if they were sex linked and she had no info for me!!! hope they are pullets!!!) So after reading about it, I thought it was a good addition. The day we went, all but two were left in the 'pen'. I wasn't excited about how pathetic they looked huddled together and all alone....But Hubby said let's do it, and there is a replacement just in case they don't make it a week.
So, after just one day, their little crops were so full of unmedicated chick starter, and I had some Nutri-Drench, and just happed to have bought bedding as my source of free hay shavings went out of business :( . Here they are in my office and I just love watching them be so active, then fall asleep, and wake up and eat some more. Thank God for this forum to find out how to dip the beaks, get electrolytes, watch for dirty butt, and normal behavior, and temperature adjustments etc..... They are such resilient little things, and not so fragile as I thought! I saw a little girl with a box of them, and so I figured I could do it!!! Have to figure out what to use at three weeks when it says to practice for roosting.
Anyone living in Florida think it may be ok to to transfer out doors? I have a very large fish tank in our well pump shed that I can cover and use the heat lamp at night as our temps go down to about 65degree still, and the days are 80's.

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_122216956.jpg
    IMG_20210316_122216956.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210315_154926997.jpg
    IMG_20210315_154926997.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 13
I would consider transferring outdoors, and to a bigger brooder if possible. Chicks need a cool zone in addition to a warmer area to warm up (plus glass tends to hold in heat.)

Since they're sex-links they should be pullets. You would notice them having different colors or markings if one was a male.

Congratulations and welcome! You will be surprised by how fast they grow. They will be ready for more room sooner than you think. You will find lots of info on here about brooder setups, I know some people don't like cardboard boxes for brooders but I've used some big boxes and they worked well for me. They will begin attempting to fly in another week or two so just make sure whatever you have them in has high enough sides and room to romp.

At about a week old I'll put a 1 1/2" or so diameter stick in their brooder, just set on the ground and make sure it can't roll. You can set it up on pieces of 2x4 or bricks or whatever you have (or get a long enough stick to poke through both sides of the box) just keep the height reasonable for their size and stable so it doesn't fall over on them.

Good luck with your chicks!

Congratulations and welcome! You will be surprised by how fast they grow. They will be ready for more room sooner than you think. You will find lots of info on here about brooder setups, I know some people don't like cardboard boxes for brooders but I've used some big boxes and they worked well for me. They will begin attempting to fly in another week or two so just make sure whatever you have them in has high enough sides and room to romp.

At about a week old I'll put a 1 1/2" or so diameter stick in their brooder, just set on the ground and make sure it can't roll. You can set it up on pieces of 2x4 or bricks or whatever you have (or get a long enough stick to poke through both sides of the box) just keep the height reasonable for their size and stable so it doesn't fall over on them.

Good luck with your chicks!
thanks, I have that date on my calendar for them to start roost training. they were on my thumb and seemed comfortable as they started to groom!

thanks, I have that date on my calendar for them to start roost training. they were on my thumb and seemed comfortable as they started to groom!
This year we found a 3 prong branch and propped that up, they approve 😊 they aren't too particular, they just like being higher up.

Attachments

• 20210307_080355.jpg
    20210307_080355.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210307_080306.jpg
    20210307_080306.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 7
This year we found a 3 prong branch and propped that up, they approve 😊 they aren't too particular, they just like being higher up.
That is very cool! I'm sitting here trying to get some work done online, they sure are noisy! I guess they are happy! Makes me look at them to make sure the lamp is ok, but all is good! Oh my gosh, their crop is so puffed out! too cute!

Back
Top Bottom