I really want some chicks, HELP ME!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by starrmar006, Mar 5, 2017.

1. starrmar006

starrmar006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2017
    hi,
    I really really really! Want some chicks but I don't Have money for chickens and I don't want to keep the chicks in the house or the garage because they stink! [​IMG] Is there any way to get a hen broody and fast! I have a store bought buff orpington. [​IMG] If you have any help at all please please pleas tell me so I can do it!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    Thank you
    Sincerely,
    Starrmar006

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  2. SueT

SueT Overrun With Chickens

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, there is no way to "make" a hen broody. That being said, properly brooded chicks should not have a bad odor - so an adjustment in the way you are brooding them may allow you to have what you want (chicks) without the worry of them stinking. The key to non-smelly brooding is providing enough space for the number of birds being brooded, keeping the brooder dry by eliminating water spillage, keeping the bedding clean with routine maintenance, brooding in an area with proper ventilation and not overheating the brooder

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    I don't know your location, but if it is WARM enough where you are at , then wait until one of your hens goes broody. You cant make one go broody at YOUR will. Other option is to just buy baby chicks at the farm stores like TS. and others. You also did not mention if you have fertile eggs??? Need a rooster with your flock, and a good one, not an immature cockerel that did not start yet.
    WISHING YOU BEST.... [​IMG]

5. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    I live in western WA the wether isn't warm yet and I have a rooster to fertilize the eggs!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    @starrmar006 I got 13 chicks [​IMG] in the brooder in my garage and no smell, believe me, my nose is like a hound dog. With proper management no smell yet. We'd been having temps in teens, yesterday was 13*F today 40s. They're due to move in the coop soon been in the garage since Mid January.[​IMG]

7. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    I have had no luck with the smell every time I have chicks, [​IMG]they always smell up the house!! When ever we would put them in the garage they found out how to fly and pooped all over the floor so it stuck!! [​IMG]

8. starrmar006

Jan 10, 2017
    I have had no luck with the smell every time I have chicks, [​IMG]they always smell up the house!! When ever we would put them in the garage they found out how to fly and pooped all over the floor so it stuck!! [​IMG]

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You can't 'make' a hen go broody....
    ...but you could 'make' yourself manage your brooder environment better.

10. allosaurusrock

allosaurusrock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2015
    Near Seattle, WA
    I agree, do some research into brooder design. It isn't like they won't ever smell, as animals do poop and you can't keep everything spotless, but cleaning out any poop at the end of the day and building a brooder with a cover would be best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by