I Saved Some Chicks Today!

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
Hey all!
Went to my local feed store today because they where getting a shipment of barred rocks. Walked into employees trying to warm up wet chicks under the heat light. There was about a dozen wet chicks looking pretty bad 4 where set aside, dead. Was told they accidentally placed the water right under the heat light and the chicks got wet while trying to warm up. Was a pretty sad scene. After a few moments I took a good look at the dead chicks. I noticed a foot twitch, and a breath they where still alive but barley!

I picked up the stone cold babies and asked If I could try and revive them. Was told go ahead. Took them to the rest room and ran them under warm water. That's how we saved a pullet that almost drowned in our pond. It was working all 4 where moving around. Unfortunately it was just a mud room sink and had a very small water heater and it ran out quickly. After placing them in a paper towel I rushed to a head lamp. Steam was rising from the chicks, it was chilly. The brooders are kept out in the feed storage area. but was working! They starting moving, sitting up and peeping. The employees meanwhile where setting up wire baskets to contain the chicks in need to place them right under the light. I put my 4 under the basket and suggested they use another heat lamp and they did. I went inside to pay for my chicks. I was allowed to pick my babies I picked 6 in total, 3 where the worst of the 4 I saved. They gave me a free bag of stall pellets for helping out :)

Well they are doing fantastic, in fact you can't even tell anything happened. So happy I decided to scoop up the 4 little guys that where headed for the trash. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and see how the rest fared. Just think If I had left an hour later for the feed store like I was going to.....

Hey all!
Went to my local feed store today because they where getting a shipment of barred rocks. Walked into employees trying to warm up wet chicks under the heat light. There was about a dozen wet chicks looking pretty bad 4 where set aside, dead. Was told they accidentally placed the water right under the heat light and the chicks got wet while trying to warm up. Was a pretty sad scene. After a few moments I took a good look at the dead chicks. I noticed a foot twitch, and a breath they where still alive but barley!

I picked up the stone cold babies and asked If I could try and revive them. Was told go ahead. Took them to the rest room and ran them under warm water. That's how we saved a pullet that almost drowned in our pond. It was working all 4 where moving around. Unfortunately it was just a mud room sink and had a very small water heater and it ran out quickly. After placing them in a paper towel I rushed to a head lamp. Steam was rising from the chicks, it was chilly. The brooders are kept out in the feed storage area. but was working! They starting moving, sitting up and peeping. The employees meanwhile where setting up wire baskets to contain the chicks in need to place them right under the light. I put my 4 under the basket and suggested they use another heat lamp and they did. I went inside to pay for my chicks. I was allowed to pick my babies I picked 6 in total, 3 where the worst of the 4 I saved. They gave me a free bag of stall pellets for helping out :)

Well they are doing fantastic, in fact you can't even tell anything happened. So happy I decided to scoop up the 4 little guys that where headed for the trash. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and see how the rest fared. Just think If I had left an hour later for the feed store like I was going to.....
Wow, you're a hero! This was a great uplifting read! So glad you were there to help!

Hey all!

This really warms my heart! Well done!!! ❤️❤️❤️

Hey all!

I picked up the stone cold babies and asked If I could try and revive them. Was told go ahead. Took them to the rest room and ran them under warm water. That's how we saved a pullet that almost drowned in our pond. It was working all 4 where moving around. Unfortunately it was just a mud room sink and had a very small water heater and it ran out quickly. After placing them in a paper towel I rushed to a head lamp. Steam was rising from the chicks, it was chilly. The brooders are kept out in the feed storage area. but was working! They starting moving, sitting up and peeping. The employees meanwhile where setting up wire baskets to contain the chicks in need to place them right under the light. I put my 4 under the basket and suggested they use another heat lamp and they did. I went inside to pay for my chicks. I was allowed to pick my babies I picked 6 in total, 3 where the worst of the 4 I saved. TQ happened. So happy I decided to scoop up the 4 little guys that where headed for the trash. I'm going to stop by tomorrow and see how the rest fared. Just think If I had left an hour later for the feed store like I was going to.....
Great work!! Any pics of your lucky littles? 😍🥰
Yes so glad you did. I seen that before. A neighbor was going out of town and her hen had new baby chicks. She felt uneasy about leaving them. I volunteered to keep the babies about 9. I didn't feel secure to keep the grown hen afraid my chickens would attack her with new babies. I told her I would keep the babies inside till she got back in 2 weeks. In about a week, it was a beautiful day warm and sunny so I decided to put them outside for a while in a large plastic tub with a piece of chicken wire on top. I wrapped a bunny cord around it for security. A heavy rain came while I was inside. I ran outside to get them. I screamed when I saw. It was way too late so I thought. They were just laying in water lifeless. I just grabbed them out of the water and put them on a towel then put a heating pad under them. One by one they all woke up. All lived.

Happy Update! Went by the feed store yesterday and all the chicks that got wet made it. It was such happy news. Here is 3 of the 4 babies I saved and took home.
DSC_0043.JPG

Hey all!

Happy Update! Went by the feed store yesterday and all the chicks that got wet made it. It was such happy news. Here is 3 of the 4 babies I saved and took home.
View attachment 2035373
Yes so glad you did. I seen that before. A neighbor was going out of town and her hen had new baby chicks. She felt uneasy about leaving them. I volunteered to keep the babies about 9. I didn't feel secure to keep the grown hen afraid my chickens would attack her with new babies. I told her I would keep the babies inside till she got back in 2 weeks. In about a week, it was a beautiful day warm and sunny so I decided to put them outside for a while in a large plastic tub with a piece of chicken wire on top. I wrapped a bunny cord around it for security. A heavy rain came while I was inside. I ran outside to get them. I screamed when I saw. It was way too late so I thought. They were just laying in water lifeless. I just grabbed them out of the water and put them on a towel then put a heating pad under them. One by one they all woke up. All lived.
Both of these stories are amazing, sweet, and inspiring! I'm glad I found this thread, and thanks for sharing!

Hey all!

Wow! You did a great job there, Not all can do what you just did, I hope one of these days I can do the same. Congrats.. Kudos to you.

Hey all!

Wonderful stories...good job to both of you!

Back
Top Bottom