I saw it possible to tell hen or rooster at 3 weeks 3 days????

Candy1977

Songster
7 Years
Nov 18, 2016
I am a new chicken owner and I have a question.

I have 13 sex link/buff mix chicks. They are 3 weeks 3 days and someone told me I could tell them apart by now. They have 2 different looks and I wanted to see if what I was told was true. If it is true can you tell me what you guys think.

Is the One with bigger comb with reddish color a rooster?

Welcome to BYC -- so glad you've joined us.
It is sometimes possible to tell at this stage, yes, but the earlier you try to determine gender in mixes like this the more room there is for error barring those early bloomers that just have such glaring signs of gender they can't be missed. 6+ weeks is a much safer time to assess gender with some certainty.
That being said, in order to begin to hazard a guess for your birds we will need different photos. The best photos for gender assessment show the whole bird in a natural, standing position -- the use of a three sided box (so you can photograph from the front) can help to contain the bird in a way to make getting the photo easier. The headshots you have posted are great for seeing comb/wattle development, but that is only one part of the assessment. We need to be able to see all of the bird without hands or other items blocking the view. Be sure to include the legs in the full-body shot.

Thank you!!! I am going to get some better photos later today when I go play with them. The ones with the larger reddish comb sit on top of the food tray and jump at the others. It is really funny!! That is what made me start looking to tell them apart. I am new and I am enjoying learning all this stuff.

I have 6 that look just like that with a very prominent reddish comb and 8 that look like the other one.

Thank you

Definitely a little cockerel.
X 2!!!!

I have 6 that look just like that with a very prominent reddish comb and 8 that look like the other one.

Thank you

Well 6/8 (that that is assuming no one else decides to sprout some pink headgear in the next few weeks) isn't too bad for a gender breakdown on a hatch.....

So it would safe to say the ones with the reddish large comb with that stance are cockerels. All the other are a wait and see if something develops.

I also have one that has one eye and a scissor beak. I think it is a hen but it is a little smaller(not much) then the others.

It is doing well and eating and drinking good. It is the sweetest little thing. I will get a picture of it tomorrow.

Thank you all for the responses!!!!

Back
Top Bottom