I swear, I should just give up on this breed!

CrazyChickensEverwhere

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
I don't know why everything is going wrong! My new passion is seramas I think they are so cute. I only have a rooster. But I keep posting ads on craigslist looking for seramas and no one has them. So I bought from 2 different people on byc, A dozen each. Temp drops to 95 degrees at night in my room, next day power goes out! I put them under my broody. Decided to candle once a day later after this mess, 2/24 have little chicks growing.... I was hoping for more, but I guess im slowly just loosing hope.

Quote:
dont give up! I had the same thing happen to me until i finally found someone who was able to ship me started chicks. Youll be alright!

I find chicken eggs easy peasy when it comes to duck eggs!
th.gif

Seramas are hard...period. Shipped serama eggs are near impossible. Serama chicks are almost as hard to raise as they are to hatch. You probably won't find any started chicks unless they are 2-3 months old. I might have a few young pullets/cockerels but I need to see what I have/can spare. They'd be 4 months old or so.

A friend of mine breeds them and he keeps saying he needs to thin down his stock, so if you'd want older hens or roosters (less than 2 years old most likely) he might be able to hook you up.

Are you looking to have some just for pets or are you wanting to breed them? I could direct you to some very good breeders on the SCNA if you are looking for good (very good) quality birds.

Quote:
Yeah. Hmm I want them as pets, But I wouldent mind breeding, But I need to take it one step at a time lol. The only thing I was trouble with, with fully grown chickens being shipped is that they are 50 dollers shipping for 2 birds (not including the birds price.) So if I end up buying fully grown birds, Ill have to start saving because I would rather by a couple at once.

don't give up! I just ordered 36 eggs (serama), bumped the counter and a whole dozen dropped to the ground before i even got it into the incubator( I almost had a complete melt down) then candle on day 17 and had 17 clear, Not hopeful on the rest. So I feel your pain.

Quote:
Yeah. Hmm I want them as pets, But I wouldent mind breeding, But I need to take it one step at a time lol. The only thing I was trouble with, with fully grown chickens being shipped is that they are 50 dollers shipping for 2 birds (not including the birds price.) So if I end up buying fully grown birds, Ill have to start saving because I would rather by a couple at once.

But the thing with seramas is that they are so fragile as chicks. Priority shipping would be cheaper, but I doubt you'll find someone willing to ship day-old seramas. So you'll probably only be able to get started chicks, which would have to be shipped Express anyway. If you got adults, at least they'd be ready to go. Plus they'd be past the 'danger zone' of chick-hood.

I got my 'start' from mbrobbins. She sent 37 eggs and I hatched 19 chicks. I lost a few when they were real young, but for the most part they have done very well.

Back
Top Bottom