i think i am gonna lose one of my chicks at any minute (updated)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by phishinchicken, Apr 16, 2009.

1. phishinchicken

phishinchicken On Vacation

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    its heartbreaking to see. about 2 weeks old. not developing like the others. she is starting to cry now. i don't know what to do. still eats very little but is starting to lay on her side and cry. very slow moving also. does not stay with the other 5 when they move around the pin. i'm really getting bummed out about this. is there anything i can do?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2009
  2. phishinchicken

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    this is killing me. somebody suggest something please.

3. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    If you think the chick is in pain, you should put her down. There are specific instructions here....look up cul or cull chicken. I am lucky enough to have a hubby to do these things for me.

4. jlmann

jlmann Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Is he/she eating? Try to give it some sugar water maybe?

5. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    I'm sorry, I wouldn't know what to do either aside from keeping her warm with you and maybe syringe feeding her some water and nutrients if she'll take it.
    [​IMG]

6. phishinchicken

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    Quote:sugar water? at what ratio?

what about some hand feeding formula for baby birds.(not sure if it can be used on chicks)

7. phishinchicken

Jan 23, 2009
    virginia
    Quote:sugar water? at what ratio?

what about some hand feeding formula for baby birds.(not sure if it can be used on chickens)

8. jlmann

Mar 3, 2009
    The formula would be a good idea if you have it on hand. If not maybe 1 tsp. of sugar to 1/2 to 2/3 cup of water - enough sugar that it tastes sweet - then feed it to the bird with a dropper. This should help if she hasn't been eating. You may have to seperate her from the others until you can figure out what is going on.

9. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    You could make a liquidy mash by soaking her crumbles in warm water if you want to make sure. I'm not sure about baby bird formula either.

10. jlmann

Mar 3, 2009
    You could also mix starter/grower with water until it is thin enough to use in the dropper. But I would try to get some sugar water in her first so she will have energy to digest

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by