i think i am gonna lose one of my chicks at any minute (updated)

phishinchicken

On Vacation
11 Years
Jan 23, 2009
virginia
its heartbreaking to see. about 2 weeks old. not developing like the others. she is starting to cry now. i don't know what to do. still eats very little but is starting to lay on her side and cry. very slow moving also. does not stay with the other 5 when they move around the pin. i'm really getting bummed out about this. is there anything i can do?

Last edited:
If you think the chick is in pain, you should put her down. There are specific instructions here....look up cul or cull chicken. I am lucky enough to have a hubby to do these things for me.

I'm sorry, I wouldn't know what to do either aside from keeping her warm with you and maybe syringe feeding her some water and nutrients if she'll take it.
hugs.gif

Quote:
sugar water? at what ratio?

what about some hand feeding formula for baby birds.(not sure if it can be used on chicks)

Quote:
sugar water? at what ratio?

what about some hand feeding formula for baby birds.(not sure if it can be used on chickens)

The formula would be a good idea if you have it on hand. If not maybe 1 tsp. of sugar to 1/2 to 2/3 cup of water - enough sugar that it tastes sweet - then feed it to the bird with a dropper. This should help if she hasn't been eating. You may have to seperate her from the others until you can figure out what is going on.

You could make a liquidy mash by soaking her crumbles in warm water if you want to make sure. I'm not sure about baby bird formula either.

You could also mix starter/grower with water until it is thin enough to use in the dropper. But I would try to get some sugar water in her first so she will have energy to digest

Back
Top Bottom