I think I found a miracle cure for feather picking

Looking at Forco's website, this product looks to be a probiotic. Avians need a specific type of probiotic, giving a horse probiotic to avians is not a good idea. This horse stuff may be doing internal damage to birds. Forco's website also says "There are no supplemental vitamins, minerals or proteins". In nature chickens never eat tuna, why would you give it to them. The chickens may have had issues trying to digest the protein from fish. Feather plucking is a protein deficiency, there is protein in feathers, that is why chickens eat them. Try something more suited for avains, like game bird feed, it is 24% protein instead of layer feed that is 14-16% protein. Or mealworms, around 50% protein.
What chickens can eat & digest fish. Where did you hear that they can't digest fish.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I said "[/FONT]The chickens may have had issues trying to digest the protein from fish." Just because a chicken will eat something doesn't mean it will benefit from it.

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif]I said "[/FONT]The chickens may have had issues trying to digest the protein from fish." Just because a chicken will eat something doesn't mean it will benefit from it.
I'm not trying to differ with you. What are you basing your opinions on. I'm quite sure they can digest fish because I fed mine some fish just the other day.I know for a fact that fish has a lot of protein in it. You also commented that Forgo is not good either. The OP said he talked with the owner of Forco & the owner has fed Forco to his chickens & the OP said he feeds it to his & it helped stop chickens from pecking feathers. Then you come along & say that its no good. Again not mad just wondering how you can make this statement. Whats it based off of?
I'm concerned because I bought the product & don't want to feed it to them if its bad for them. In other words I don't know because I've never heard of the stuff till now. I know its for horses & I questioned the OP about that as well but he said its all good. I'm again just concerned about my chickens. My chickens peck feathers & I've tried everything in the book to fixs this problem. I have pretty much gotten it under control but if this stuff will work & won't hurt my chickens I want it.

You are not understanding my comment on fish, read the red parts.

Imagine that, a manufacture/salesman that wants people to buy their product. Labeling in the US is required to say what animals a product is safe to use on, Forco makes no product claims on the packaging their product can be used for avains. What does this tell you?

Seems some people feed/treat avains like they are a dog or swine. Avains have a more delicate and different digestion systems.

I've had avains for many decades. Some costing more than some people make in a month (exotic parrots).

Boost the protein level in the feed. I find peepers work very well and results are instant and peepers are cheap.

I'm certainly not a certified expert on chicken biology, but I have observed the behavior of my flock up close and personal for five years now. They appear to be able to eat and digest just about anything. I've fed them canned tuna, too, for molting issues and they seem to handle that well, too.

I can't see that Forco has anything in it I should be afraid to feed my chickens. They've been consuming it now for over three months, and I have only seen positive results. I certainly would have seen some negative things by this time if it were going to happen.

Everything in Forco is natural and purely organic, according to the owners of the business. If this product were not good, their business wouldn't be growing by leaps and bounds.

Do what you want, but what I'm trying to impress is longevity. Will the chickens die sooner because they are given the wrong probiolic? Sounds like you didn't boost the protein in the feed for three months first. Why not feed the avains something that is designed for them instead of something for horses? Try a scoop of mealworms for three months.

I've been fighting feather picking forever & a day. Here's the peepers, every anti picking solution none to man kind. I mean I have boxes of this junk. I curbed it finally but they still pick each other some. I could literally right a book on the subject. I saw this & was concerned as well about it being for horses & asked. Like cat food some people feed this I don't. I got Forco & have fed it to my chickens twice they loved it. It does smell rich & I even felt like trying it myself. I will continue using this Forco & see what happens.

Here is something to think about; In nature, what is one of the things chickens eat? BUGS, around 50% protein. What does layer feed have? Around 15%, just enough to produce eggs. Why is there only this little protein in feed? Cost.

I live on a farm & my chickens eat a lot of bugs.I've tried what you said about upping their protein level & I started mixing GBS & 20% laying pellets. I did this for about a month & it did help but for some reason they still peck each other here & there. Nothing like before. I just hate to see them without all their feathers. I'm gonna try the supplement & see what happens. As I have already stated I've tried it all. So 25 bucks is worth a try. You never know it might have something in it that my chickens needs who knows. I don't think the supplement will hurt them are make them die at an early age.
There's an older farmer that lives across from me & I showed him what my chickens were doing to each other. He immediately said yup their going cannibalistic you need to cut their beaks. I thought to myself no way I'm doing that. But back in the day that's how they handled the problem.
I will bookmark this thread & report back about my chickens & Forco. ADIOS AMIGOS

Back
Top Bottom