I think I have a Cayuga? *pics*

itsjustjen

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Was told she was a Blue Swedish at feed store when I bought her over a month ago as a tiny duckling. She is now 8x's that size and looks nothing like a Blue Swedish! She is almost all black with an emerald sheen in the sunlight. White breast feathers and white feathers in the corners of her mouth. Could she be a Cayuga?

009-8.jpg

006-7.jpg

005-5.jpg

Last edited:
could be...but could also be a Black Swedish. I was told mine were 'bllue' swedish too (a few years ago when I bought my first 3 Swedish ducks from Southern States) but 2 were Black Swedes and 1 was Blue Swedish. My Cayugas were all black that time...now that they're getting older, there are some white feathers showing up here and there.

Quote:
Black swedish would have more white on the chest. Cayuga's sometimes have white feathers like that. OP, Looks like you've got yourself a Cayuga!
wink.png
If it looks green in the sun then it could be: Black East Indie (Which it isn't), or Cayuga.

Quote:
Black swedish would have more white on the chest. Cayuga's sometimes have white feathers like that. OP, Looks like you've got yourself a Cayuga!
wink.png
If it looks green in the sun then it could be: Black East Indie (Which it isn't), or Cayuga.

That's why I am asking. When ever I looked up images of each breed, mine favors the Cayuga more and more. Her ( hope its a her, no drake feathers to date ) feathers are "greening" more each day.

Also these pics are about 2 weeks old. It's fully black/green now with the white feathers. I tried to get more up to date pictures but dang she is quick!

Last edited:
That's a Cayuga for sure! Mine has a few white feathers on her chest, too. And just like yours, mine keeps turning greener, and greener, and greener...!

Also, you might want to examine her a little more carefully! In the first picture, it looks like there is a little chicken head growing out of her crest. Definitely abnormal.

Last edited:
Yep, looks like a crested cayuga. Sometimes, they do get a little white on the front, but it looks more "splattered" than the Swedish ducks. I've heard, though, that cayugas can get whiter as they get older, especially females.

And, yes, it does look like a little chick is nesting in her hairdo in that first pic, lol.

Back
Top Bottom