I think I know what's wrong, Help Baby chick is acting strange

Lacrystol

Hatching Helper
14 Years
Jun 13, 2009
Diamond, Ohio
I had 9 eggs that hatched last weekend, they are all doing excellent except 1. This one is carring her wings low to the ground, alls she wants to do is lay underneath the heating lamp, she drinks if I get a dropper and put it by her beak, she eats very very little if I put her in her food dish. She is not active like the rest of the chicks. She doesn't move around much, just lays in one spot. She also seems to have her eyes shut all the time. I thought about putting her in the incubator separate from the others but didn't want to cause more harm. She peeps but very very low and only when I pick her up, did I mention no energy or very low energy. Sometimes when I watch her, it seems like her legs give out or get weak, she just falls, she also seems to walk to the side when she does walk.. What the heck could this be? is there anything I can do?

i would say this started to happen when i put all of them in a box and we went outside to get some sun. We were outside for about 3 minutes because it was too cold.

I haven't seen her go to the bathroom but I haven't been watching her all day..

Last edited:
try adding a touch of teramyacin antibiotic to her water and give her an electrolyte water supplement. if that does not help i am not sure what else to do.

I'm no expert, but I have read that others have used sugar water to help a sluggish chick with great success. I believe the ratio was one tablespoon of sugar to a quart of water. They used droppers to vie it to them. I hope someone else with more experience answers, because I'm nit quite sure of the ratio.

Keep us informed
big_smile.png
I just checked a couple of other threads and the ratio was anywhere from a quart to a gallon with a tablespoon.

I think I know whats wrong but don't know how to help. She's having problems going to the bathroom, I wiped her butt with a Q-tip and she is walking around trying to go but nothing coming out, she's wiggling her tail and everything but again nothing.. What can I do for her?

Well what I originally thought maybe the problem with her ends up not being the problem. It's day two and she's not showing any signs of improvement. She did go to the bathroom as I took a q-tip and rubbed her behind, not pasty looked regular to me. She's still just standing underneath the heat light, the other chicks will come and knock her down but she gets right back up. She holds her head up towards the light as if she just can't get enough. She's not sneezing any more just standing in one spot. I don't know what else to do for her. i have not seen her drink any water but I have been giving her eletrolyte with a dropper. She walks bow legged and to the side sometimes straight but not to often. The holding her head up high kind of worries me, she still has her eyes closed and doesn't peep much. Her wings are still straight down towards the ground, I can only assume this is to keep her balance. She was move her beak a lot as if she's constantly drink. The other chicks are sooooo much more energetic then she is.. When I look in the box all of them jump except her, she's just standing there doesn't move a muscle.. Has anyone ever had this problem with a week old chick?

Back
Top Bottom