I think my chick is dying in my lap

den10hens

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 4, 2007
Portland, Oregon
I have three chicks, they were fine last night. this morning one of them did not get up to greet me. She is not walking and fluttering like her sisters. She is sitting very still on my lap now. She will startle

What should I do?

2 and a half weeks. I just set up an isolation box for her. got her to drink a little by dipping her beak in the water. She won't eat our drink on her own

Keep her warm and comfortable, and continue to encourage her to drink. Hope she pulls through.

she is still breathing. She will still drink if I dip her beak in water. She has no interest in food. (Any suggestions?)

0521070854-00.jpg

the other girls are looking for her

0521070853-01.jpg

I just remembered that one of the chicks jumped while being put back in the brooder yesterday. Hit the floor from about 3 feet up. She seemed fine at the time, and they all seemed fine last night. I can't be sure it was this one because I can't really tell them apart.

She does feel all stiff and I am worried if this is the one that jumped maybe she has internal injuries. If that is the case can she be saved? Or do I just need to keep her comfortable until?????

Do I try to make her eat since she won't on her own? She drinks every time I dip her beak, but how much should I do that. If I CAN save her, I sure don't want to accidentally kill her with kindness.
hit.gif

This one is Clarabel. I can tell them apart when I can look closely, but not when they are moving quickly.

She has hung on so far today, but I don't think she will make it. She is not eating at all and its harder to get her to drink now. I tried to get her to eat some yogurt but she wouldn't. She is just laying still with her feet tucked up and she falls over and does not try to right herself.

She has not pooped and her belly is puffed up. She is not pasted up and never has been. If its internal stuff I am guessing there is nothing anyone can do.

She did peep at me when I picked her up to give her some water.
hit.gif

Oh darn...Have you tried some gatorade? or make a mash of the chick crumbles and gatorade together and give it to her on a spoon.. That way she'll get the nutrients together with vitamins and electrolytes. You could also try putting her in a warm bath. That might make her poop a tiny bit...
Good luck with little Clarabel

Back
Top Bottom