I think my rooster has stepped over the line!

Quote:
Not sure I understand the refference to stretching the neck with a galvonized pipe... could you elaborate on that?
idunno.gif

I'm not sure I would even let a 2-year-old near adult chickens, friendly or not. It seems like a big risk, especially because a two-year-old's eyes are in range of those sharp beaks. Chickens are nice, but just like kittens or puppies, are still animals; even the friendliest ones can be dangerous or turn unfriendly at times if provoked -- and two-year-olds just don't think about consequences yet.
smile.png
It might be better in the future to do like another poster suggested and only allow interactions between her and the chickens through the fence (until she is a bit older and can learn about them more).

I think you did the right thing with this rooster by picking him up and carrying him around. If he's a smart bird, eventually he will realize that attacking you is going to result in similar circumstances for himself.

Quote:
Same thing here. I've got a silkie roo who is MEAN! Every time we'd even step out of the house he'd be flogging us. We used to have a "rooster stick". We would hit it on the ground in front of him and he would stop. Then one day he suddenly swerved into the path of the stick and got hit. He was unconcious for a good five minutes, but was fine when he woke up. He still didn't stop! However, he went blind in October and has since regained enough sight to make out shapes and movement. Now he comes at you, jumps, and flys through the air no where near your leg! It is so funny, but I feel bad for him. Whenever he tries I just pick him up and tell him he's silly. He calms right down.

Let us please not be violent. Anyhow, Roosters need to be shown who is the king roo. They do forget this if you do not reinforce this.

Just today, I got into a situation (again) with our BIG OL' Cochin roo. Lets face it, the barn is his territory. Well, today i brought in two Guineas that are old enough from the nursery. The other Guineas went after them.

The Cochin got excited and started the flogging. Well, he got the boot under the breast and a gentle toss across the barn, not once, but several times. Them I ran his butt down and out of the barn. Then I caught the big ol turd and held him by his legs. Then i walked into the barn and made absolutely sure his hens saw the whole horrid thing.

He was a perfect gentleman once again after this.

However, I would not put a roo (especially a big one) and a two year old within 20 yards of each other.

If you want to keep him to get chicks from,put him in his own cage with the hens you want to breed him to.This way you can still get some offspring from him, and keep your children safe.I would not let him around the children anymore without a fence or cage between then,even if he does seem to become nice again.

Last edited:
My grand daughter was a few years older than your daughter when she taught her silkie roo his place. That day I saw her headed to the runs with a stick in her hand. When asked what she was doing with the stick she replied, I am going to teach that roo some manners. I watched her as she crossed the run and the roo headed for her. She whached the be jesus out of that poor roo three times before he had enough. From that time on he never went after her again.

Quote:
I hope you weren't talking about me. I didn't mean for it to sound "mean." It truly was an accident and I bawled so hard when I did it. I was just trying to make the point that, even when great measures are taken to try and stop their behavior (even when the measures aren't on purpose) some are unbreakable.

PS: The hit was in no way the cause of his blindness. Just thought I would make that clear. Didn't want anyone to think any abuse was going on here. I couldn't bear to intentionally cause harm to any animal.

Back
Top Bottom