I think My Serama rooster has piece of crawfish stuck in his esophogus. labored breathing

Is she a serama?
I just added Seramas to my flock in February of this year. They've all been healthy and a big source of Joy added to my life. They're so tiny and cute, personable, friendly and hilarious to watch. The girls are very broody. I started with 6 that I hatched and right now have 15. Gandolf is from my original group and my only white Serama until recently. I have a young white frizzle girl now who has a black and white frizzle brother....Sugar and Pepper...Mom is a gray frizzle who's name is Pretzel. I could talk about them forever so I better stop now before I start sending all their pictures and put everyone asleep.
I had an extra male Serama I added to a flock. Then I had dog attacks in July and August (I could go on forever about it but I won't, still angry about it) my free range flocks were wiped out in 6 different attacks and they go into some of my pens too. The serama actually survived all but the last one. there was no sign of his body, just a few feathers. I assume the dog just swallowed him. All my seramas are caged up but when I have extra males I try to get them in the free range flock to see how well they do. I do not have roosters free ranging because I respect my neighbors and their children. If a Rooster strays from the yard it puts children at risk. I figure a serama rooster would work out great because they are not likely to fly out of the yard and they do not venture as far as other roosters. You do have to raise them with the large fowl from brooder age or the large hens pounce on them when you try to introduce them.
I love their personalities in a flock, some say its too dangerous for the to be left in a flock but the one I had lasted the longest during the pit bull raids.
THAT is horrible! Do you live in town? How much space do you have between you and the neighbors? My chickens are my children, and yes I have real children of my own. Me and the pitt bull owners would be at war after the second time but then again I'm not known by my neighbors for holding my tongue or beingreasonable when something hurts .any of my kids. Human, poultry, dogs or out potbelly pig. We live outside of town on a private road and there are no leash laws. We have a lot of dogs that run loose, coyotes, and a bobcat the last 4 weeks sneaking. up and down our road. One of my dachtsunds lost the use of his back half of his body 2 yrs ago from a coyote attack. He is starting to really inmrove with his leg use but even without back legs, Charlie can "out -drag" most dogs. people have . I have a lot of pets that have gotten sick or injured that I have nursed back to health most of my animals live for a very very long time cuz I work to keep them healthy as long as I can I feel like a juniioraa
I only have 4, 2 roos and 2 females (one not laying yet but will soon) Although recently I did get 2 hard eggs from that soft egg layer. I only bought the 2nd pair because of the soft egg issue. I would really like to get them breeding.
My main health issues are in the first few days of hatch. Some just seem to fail to thrive. Once they get over the hurdle, they do great. I've never gotten a soft egg from any of mine. I have close to 50 seramas right now.
50!? Do you sell eggs for hatching or show them?....or are you just a chicken lover and collector like me who started with 10 chickens years ago and they just multiplied? I have adopted many out over the last couple years. Mostly the roosters when they become too numerous and overwhelming for my girls. Counting the babies that have popped up over the last couple week I "think" I have around 115 + or -. It's impossible to count them anymore although all but the new babies have names and probably about 1/3 actually know and answer to their names. I would to add a few new Seramas for breeding for new colors.

50!? Do you sell eggs for hatching or show them?....or are you just a chicken lover and collector like me who started with 10 chickens years ago and they just multiplied? I have adopted many out over the last couple years. Mostly the roosters when they become too numerous and overwhelming for my girls. Counting the babies that have popped up over the last couple week I "think" I have around 115 + or -. It's impossible to count them anymore although all but the new babies have names and probably about 1/3 actually know and answer to their names. I would to add a few new Seramas for breeding for new colors.

I don't show them, but I do sell birds and hatching eggs. I don't consider them "show quality" although some easily could be, and could produce SQ offspring. I have sold many to kids to use for 4H and local shows. I have smooth and silkied, my original eggs came from 4 or 5 different sources, and I move males out to keep fresh genetics. My girls were extremely broody this past summer, but I was lucky to move most of them. Like you, keeping an exact count can be hard lol! I have 2 separate pens of them. Lots of colors!
A few recent pics of some I still have. (I also have flocks of bantam cochins and cream legbars) (sorry, I can never narrow down pics to just a few lol!)
IMG_6043.JPG IMG_7675.JPG IMG_7681.JPG IMG_9604.JPG IMG_9887.JPG IMG_9894.JPG IMG_9905.JPG IMG_3448.JPG WP_20180219_16_29_20_Pro.jpg

as far as my dog attack problems. To make a long story short the people who run our animal control here are more concerned with adopting out dogs than getting dangerous dogs off the street. The consequences of having violent dogs running loose are very minimal, the worst the can happen is when the citations pile up you have to surrender your dogs and then go buy more. Animal Control will just adopt the violent blood thirsty dogs back out. The cycle repeats.

Penny did have 3 chicks with a BB Red bantam named Duke but MnM, Jake, and I forget her name got stolen we think. Have you gotten fox attacks before?

I have never had Fox, just dogs, Cats, and Raccoons. And some missing hens I believe were carried off by hawks but no way to tell for sure. Saw a Hawk swoop down and almost touch down today, the chickens I have with free range privileges were all hiding in the shrubs when it took place. Now I can tell when where to put obstacles to make it harder for hawks to do that.

I don't show them, but I do sell birds and hatching eggs. I don't consider them "show quality" although some easily could be, and could produce SQ offspring. I have sold many to kids to use for 4H and local shows. I have smooth and silkied, my original eggs came from 4 or 5 different sources, and I move males out to keep fresh genetics. My girls were extremely broody this past summer, but I was lucky to move most of them. Like you, keeping an exact count can be hard lol! I have 2 separate pens of them. Lots of colors!
A few recent pics of some I still have. (I also have flocks of bantam cochins and cream legbars) (sorry, I can never narrow down pics to just a few lol!)
View attachment 1606389 View attachment 1606391 View attachment 1606392 View attachment 1606393 View attachment 1606395 View attachment 1606396 View attachment 1606397 View attachment 1606398 View attachment 1606399

they're gorgeous! I haven't seen any Silky Seramas. I can't move any boys out because I'm too attached to every one of them although only Gandolf and Fonzie "the Fonze" are of breeding age.
View attachment 1606389 View attachment 1606391 View attachment 1606392 View attachment 1606393 View attachment 1606395 View attachment 1606396 View attachment 1606397 View attachment 1606398

they're gorgeous! I don't think I've seen a silky Serama before.

Back
Top Bottom