I took in another one

L&Schickens

Songster
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Washington State
What have I done?
Yes, I took in yet another dog. So, in the past 2 weeks, I have taken in a stray a cat, a dog and now taken in another dog whose owners are moving out of state and said they can’t take him.
OK, so here is the story.
My neighbor across the street, (Who gave me a rabbit from her daughter who was getting divorced) called right after I got home with Loren from school/ She said her son was getting divorced and needed to place his cocker spaniel. The dog is 10 months old, not neutered and registered with AKC. So, I said I would take a look, but if he was aggressive to Loren or Sandy, the stray from last week, I would not take him.
I expected her son to bring the dog over in a couple of days or something. No, he showed up with my neighbor within a half hour. The dog seemed nice enough, although very matted and dirty. The owner proceeded to tell me that his wife (Soon to be ex) got the dog for him. She paid $800 for him at a tiny puppy.
“I said I wanted a dog and she came home with that.” He seemed very disappointed in the little cocker. He named the dog Duface. Yes, Duface. He also told me that he tried to potty train the dog, but got tired of it so he stayed out side tied up all the time. “He will be fine living out side”, he said. I noticed the dog had an electric collar on him. So I asked about that. “He barks all the time so we put the bark collar on him.” Can this dog be any more resented?
Well, Duface seemed to be getting along with Loren and Sandy just fine. I asked how often he was groomed, he said never. Was he on any flea prevention? No. He also said his kids were sick of him too because Duface “Followed” them when they played outside.
I felt so sorry for the dog I agreed to take him. He was greatful, as he did not want to give him to anyone he didn’t know. Although he doesn’t know me, his mother does, so he felt it was good to leave him. His mother won’t take him because she “Hates Cockers”.
He handed me the papers, which were never sent in to be transferred from the breeder to his name, and said thanks.
Well, “Duface” who’s name will be changed immediately, started settling down and I made an attempt to do some grooming on him. I got a lot of him shaved down but he kept wanting to bite me. He was so matted his peinus was stuck to his leg by a mat. The back of his ears were attached to his neck. He was full of stickers and sticks. He was a mess, to say the least. But I managed to get his shaved down and bathed. He was full of fleas, of course and extremely dirty, but he did well for his first bath and shave. I will not take any more pictures of him until he looks better. I will work on him more tomorrow. Amazingly enough, my husband did not hand me divorce papers over this!!
I don't know if I am going to keep him or re-home him. He has a few problems I don't know if I want to deal with.

deeranddog_012.jpg

deeranddog_016.jpg

deeranddog_015.jpg

Finally someone else like me!
*looks at the momma cat, 4 kittens and dog all taken in in the last 2 weeks*

Great job,I would of done the same thing

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, the world would be a better place if more folks thought like you- and I suspect a lot of us on BYC are like that!

Then again, I have a zoo of adoptees, having only acquired chickens on purpose...the rest found me!

That is one very pretty and lucky dog. Bless you for having such a kind heart. I hope you are able to keep him as your son ( I am assuming:)) seems to really like him. If not I am sure you will find a great home. Keep us posted on how he is doing.

You are awesome! I would have done the same thing. I wish I was closer I would come help you! I bet with a little love and crate training his issues will be gone! Poor baby...he is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom