I want to be sure!!!!!!

JosieMae

Chirping
Jun 22, 2017
Bellevue, WA
Hi!
I want to be sure NO predators can get into my coop because I love my hens TOO MUCH!!!! The run is completely enclosed in hardware cloth and it's very spacious and tall with a clear roof. The coop itself is raised with two doors on either side than can be opened and closed. They are secured with a simple latch and then on the bottom of each there are two extra locks with carabineers.
Does it sound predator proof?

You need to protect it from digging predators. Put an apron of hardware cloth 2 feet across around it (don't forget the corners). Attach it to the coop so there are no gaps. (You could also dig down 1-2 feet, but that's a pain, and not even possible for some of us.) Walk around and look for any gaps larger than 1/2".

(I also use combination locks for my coops, because raccoons and clever and I'm paranoid.)

Here's one of my tractor coops where I had just put down the apron so you can see it (before I had tacked it to the ground with those ground staples). Once it's there a little while, grass grows through it, etc., and you can't see it much.

TractorComplete.JPG

OK! Yes underneath is all protected so nothing can dig down! I attached a pic of what the coop doors are like and their security!!! How does it look?

The hardware cloth is attached to all the frames of the run and folded over and the coop is raised and the doors have three locks on each. I sent a pic of the whole thing! How does it look?
1498411083504-1108749981.jpg
14984112939911052684616.jpg
1498411323677-397350781.jpg

Looks very nice! I assume you're going to extend an apron/no dig zone where the rake is leaning as well?

And, again, raccoons can be dexterous, can certainly undo the latch and may be able to do the carabiners if clever enough. I might replace the latch with one with a hole that can take a combination padlock (and maybe padlock the bottoms as well?)

You may laugh, but someone told me of a raccoon that was caught on camera finding a hidden key to a locking padlock (he had watched the human), and using it to unlock the lock. One morning, I found muddy paw prints (raccoon prints) on the outer coop wall leading to 5 feet up (head height for me) where the egg door was on one of my coops. And there was mud all over the combination lock that was on the egg door. He had been trying to get it open. :eek:

I leave them all where they are set (000) - just nobody tell my raccoons the combo, ok? :D

Looks very nice! I assume you're going to extend an apron/no dig zone where the rake is leaning as well?

And, again, raccoons can be dexterous, can certainly undo the latch and may be able to do the carabiners if clever enough. I might replace the latch with one with a hole that can take a combination padlock (and maybe padlock the bottoms as well?)

You may laugh, but someone told me of a raccoon that was caught on camera finding a hidden key to a locking padlock (he had watched the human), and using it to unlock the lock. One morning, I found muddy paw prints (raccoon prints) on the outer coop wall leading to 5 feet up (head height for me) where the egg door was on one of my coops. And there was mud all over the combination lock that was on the egg door. He had been trying to get it open. :eek:

I leave them all where they are set (000) - just nobody tell my raccoons the combo, ok? :D

I also slipped a curved metal bar through the handles so you can't open it without sliding it around and off. So that makes four locks on each door with carabineers as well!

The hardware cloth is attached to all the frames of the run and folded over and the coop is raised and the doors have three locks on each. I sent a pic of the whole thing! How does it look?View attachment 1054239 View attachment 1054246 View attachment 1054250
That's a nice job on your coop; from the multiple locks to how you attached the hardware cloth! My hardware cloth isn't attached as well as yours...I'm going to take from your notes and get lag screws with washers. My only concern is the same as Fire Ant Farm's with the spot where the rake is sitting. Outstanding! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom