I was supposed to get hens!

That's awful that someone did that to you. I'm sorry that happened. They are beautiful, though...

I have a few too many roosters. If I lived out in the country, I wouldn't care. But I live in town, so I think a few may have to go.
hit.gif
I do like them all.

Quote:
Yeah, I think this is what I would do too. I can understand one or even two roosters, but all but one is a rooster??? When they were sexed, yeah, they were sexed all right and you were given the roosters!! I would take them back and ask to exchange them for the hens you bought!!!

I was so hoping it was just that they were point-of-lay!!

You poor thing- I see you have an EE roo that looks exactly like my Professor- mine's the sweetest guy in the world.

I would definitely try to rehome them, but if you can't it's pragmatic to make some soup...I just can't see ever doing it myself...I'm too attached.

I would certainly reconsider getting birds from THAT guy again... I've gone the sexed-birds-at-the-feed-store route for 20 birds and only had one that was sexed wrong (hence my EE roo that matches yours) and have been very happy with that ratio.

Try putting them up for adoption on the buy-sell-trade section here, first, being sure to list your location in the title, and see if anyone wants them. They are very pretty, and there are often folks posting who are looking for a roo.

Best of luck!

I would do the same thing.

Quote:
Yeah, I think this is what I would do too. I can understand one or even two roosters, but all but one is a rooster??? When they were sexed, yeah, they were sexed all right and you were given the roosters!! I would take them back and ask to exchange them for the hens you bought!!!

Take them back and ask for hens.

What can it hurt?

I would even take them back if they were supposed to be straight run with 1 out of seven being roos. Straight run should be about 50/50 and with 90% accuracy you should have gotten at least 2 hens.

Someone was sleeping during sexing class.

I agree with the other posts. I believe the third picture is a pullet and all the rest are Roos. I would contact the person you got them from and take them back to the nearby farm and ask for hens or pullets.

Thanks everyone. I love this forum! Everyone is so helpful! I was indeed considering taking them back to the person who sold them to me. It was about an hour from me so I may check a couple places first to see if anyone near me wants a roo or two. They are awfully pretty little guys. ChooksChick... Yes the EE roo's are beautiful! I think my EE may be the one I keep. He was the first to out himself as a fella and therefore earned the name of Fine Sir. Little did I know we had 5 other small sirs in there! And the saga continues...
big_smile.png

The odds of you getting seven or eight roos out of 8 "striaght run" chicks is about 3.5% ... assuming that the odds of a male or a female is 50/50 ... (which could be argued, of course ... but we can assume it is close to 50/50)

Still ... it is highly doubtful that you got that many roos by chance, even if they were "straight run" and not "sexed" as claimed. I'd get back in touch with that seller.

Here's a cool binomial probability calculator for the math weenies:
http://faculty.vassar.edu/lowry/binomialX.html

lol.png

Quote:
I got 8 roos out of 8 sexed chicks - what are the odds of that? And yes, I was trying to buy girls... I even have a receipt that reads "pullets"...
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom