IA here

Wow I really think I better get some chickens listed for sale. Just hatched another 18 chicks over the weekend. Puts me to around 180 chickens around here with 3 incubators always going..whew no wonder my feed bill is so high $$$

Whoee, that's a lot of chickens! I'm afraid that's what would happen to me if I had a bator.
big_smile.png

It's real easy to do. If the 50 I have in my incubator hatch, I will have doubled my population since new years day. I've Hatched over 50 already this year, and still more to go. Such fun!

Here's our new chicks I picked up from MM on Saturday. I put them under my Australorp that hatched out 4 chicks on Friday. This is 4 Buff Rocks, 4 Partridge Rocks, 3 Black Minorcas, 3 Red Leghorns, and one light gray mystery chick down in the lower right hand corner I believe is a Silver Spangled Hamburg. then the 4 we hatched out, 2 are White rocks and 2 are Australorp/White Rock crosses. Mama hen is doing a great job with all those babies!
How are these babies doing with all the snow that just came down around you guys? Can your hen keep all those babies warm or do you have a heat lamp too? that would be so adorable. you need to share some pictures of the chicks with momma when you get a chance.

Wow I really think I better get some chickens listed for sale. Just hatched another 18 chicks over the weekend. Puts me to around 180 chickens around here with 3 incubators always going..whew no wonder my feed bill is so high $$$

Whoee, that's a lot of chickens! I'm afraid that's what would happen to me if I had a bator.
big_smile.png

It's real easy to do. If the 50 I have in my incubator hatch, I will have doubled my population since new years day. I've Hatched over 50 already this year, and still more to go. Such fun!
incubating is very addicting! I love it and I don't get to keep anything I hatch. But I make a lot of people very happy!
not sure, I would guess yes but I don't have a LG to try it. When I measure the outside of the turners they are the same size. 15x15. the LG has slots that the racks slide down and lock when turned and the hovabator turner I have has more of a peg rack that you put pins in to hold in place. If this makes sense. I'm going to try and pull out all the egg racks that come with it and see if all my old racks fit in there. I just like to mix my quail and chicken racks together when incubating. that way I can use to different incubators that way If something happens to one incubator all of the same kind of eggs won't be ruined.
I put in all the old turners and took out the new ones. So far it's working but everytime I want to change a rack I have to take off the motor, What a pain that is!

I put in all the old turners and took out the new ones. So far it's working but everytime I want to change a rack I have to take off the motor, What a pain that is!
I just called Ralph at Des Moines Feed & Garden. He has the hovabator turners, I always forget at about that place. WooHoo! They are more then the LG from TSC that is on sale right now although, they are the same prcie as what I have seen on the internet with shipping. Also Ralph sometimes likes to barder, let's see what I can come up with.

So you sell day-old chicks? Who do you sell to- online or local or what?

My hen is doing a great job keeping the babies warm even with these temps. I have a heat lamp in the brooder, but it's off to the side, just to warm it up a bit so they can run around and so the water doesn't freeze. But she fits all 19 babies under her!

So you sell day-old chicks? Who do you sell to- online or local or what?

My hen is doing a great job keeping the babies warm even with these temps. I have a heat lamp in the brooder, but it's off to the side, just to warm it up a bit so they can run around and so the water doesn't freeze. But she fits all 19 babies under her!
aww, that would be adorable. what a good mommy.

I usually hatch and give the babies back to whom I got the eggs from. These last quail that I hatched, I did trade some for barred rock hatching eggs, so I could joing the Easter hatch along and the chicks will got to my folks. Mom's been wanting some hens for eggs. The rest of the quail I sold on craigslist since I couldn't find anyone to trade for more hatching eggs of the type of hens she wanted. I don't usually make a profit. I hatch for pies, jams, homemade bread. LOL I just love hatching and having these cute little things around for a couple of days.
In fact, I'm getting about 100 quail eggs to hatch for someone later this week. I'm not charging him, but he said he would give me something. They will go in with the BR eggs I have in there now. This is why I'm wanting another turner. I have two incubators, and I don't have to have a turner but I don't want to flip 100 little quail eggs esp with spring break coming next week I don't want to be tied to the incubator and can come and go as I please during this stage.

Back
Top Bottom