Icelandic Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by The Sheriff, Feb 19, 2010.

1. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I've got so many boys...I don't know which one to pick. I am kinda leaning towards one that has the mottling/spangling but there is another who has that Splash BWA coloring. HELP!

2. The Sheriff

The Sheriff Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Northern CA
    Laree, if there is any way you can wait and see who has the best roo behavior I recommend that. I like to pick ones that treat the girls nice and get along with the other roos. Sometimes it's not the prettiest ones eight. I think I might have made a mistake the last time I thinned out the roos and kept the wrong one.

3. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Knock on wood, I am very happy with my 4 boys. Romeo is the wildest of the four, but he is not "bad." He just likes to be "active." When he is out free ranging, he is on a dead run hunting down girls. I think he would be happy in a pen FULL of girls. [​IMG] For now, he is in the rooster pen, awaiting his turn. I sooooooooo hope to have a bunch of pullets from my chicks!

4. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

Kathy #17 looks like he is gonna be gorgeous! I can't wait to see what he does.

5. Jake Levi

Jake Levi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2011
    Harrisville, MI
    Good morning All [​IMG]

Laree as Mary says, its prime importance, keep the nice tempered ones, temperament has the highest breeding coefficient known, in the 20s %, most all other traits are in the single digits, bad temperament breeds bad temperament, no exceptions, works in all mammals too.

I have 11 pullets, and right now five roos, 2 from Mary older and 3 I am keeping out of the ones raised, might be another one , one day I think its a roo the next a pullet [​IMG] so probably a roo. I am going to keep at least 4 just for the diversity.

Kathy wonderful pics, how old were they when you photograhed them? Very nice crests !

Mahonri I am thankful the operation went well, we all are. [​IMG]

Mary good luck on the dogs, my advice is SSS, always. A .22 mag with hollowpoints and a scope will be easy for you to handle and its super accurate. If any chickens get killed photograph them and sue. You have far more then your share of lousy un-neighbors. [​IMG]

I took the last 2 Icelandics up to a Lady north of here who I helped to start a flock of Icelandics, thats 3 new Icelandic fans here in Northern MI, all enthusiastic ! I hope we see 2 of them here soon, one doesnt 'do'email.

In mid september I am moving to NE Wa, at least for the winter, the flock and some young goats to train as pack goats , and a dog. An English Shepherd, who knows chickens and goats and sheep. So much to do here getting ready.

Life is good, and better with Icelandics [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I came to realize yesterday that two of my Icelandics that I was certain were pullets are turning into roos. How does that happen???

Guess we'll see who is the nicest.

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:Knock on wood, I am very happy with my 4 boys. Romeo is the wildest of the four, but he is not "bad." He just likes to be "active." When he is out free ranging, he is on a dead run hunting down girls. I think he would be happy in a pen FULL of girls. [​IMG] For now, he is in the rooster pen, awaiting his turn. I sooooooooo hope to have a bunch of pullets from my chicks!

I agree. I had to have this same conversation with Sommer when she hatched these GORGEOUS trio of roos. They were all jerks, so we culled them and waited another generation for our perfect roo.

I think I will keep my two favorites and let them try and impress me. Currently I have waaaaaay to many roos, all crowing. They leave in 3 weeks, but until then--yikes they make me mad.

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I hear you Laree - Right now I have 10 roosters in with 20 hens. (don't freak out - 9 are only 18 weeks old and not mating yet) 5 of them are going bye bye on Tuesday, including the adult rooster. That will leave me with 5 juvenile barnevelders to choose one or 2 as my breeder rooster.

9. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:They hatched June 19 - 20, and I took the pictures yesterday, so they are about 25 days old.

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Quote:I have 40+ that will be leaving on Aug 8th for the Midwestern University diabetes project. I feel a bit bad, but usually I would eat the roos. So...it is for Science...Not for Soup.

Whatever I have to tell myself....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by