Icelandic Chickens

Quote: Anytime it's above freezing in January in Northern Illinois, it's a lovely morning!!

lau.gif
x2!! I had let most of the Icelandics out of the coop today. The temp was about 40s today!! :ya There was still snow, but not much.

I can't complain about snow this year, for sure. It was 50 here today, and now it is sprinkling. I hope that stops soon, as it is to get into the 20s overnight, and I don't want ice! Look at my 10 day forecast!
smile.png

5.png
32.png
32.png
34.png
28.png
30.png
32.png
30.png
30.png
30.png

Rain / Snow Showers Early
Sunny Sunny Mostly Sunny Mostly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Sunny Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy
--High 48° 49° 60° 65° 59° 55° 54° 52° 54°
24°Low
24° 32° 45° 33° 28° 30° 29° 26° 34°

Last edited:
One more for Dar! I noticed Dreki's "crest do" in this shot and just had to post it.....he's got just the slightest wave.....so suave..........
wink.png

Looks like Joyous will have the honor of hatching the first eggs with possible Dreki offspring. She will be setting eggs from Daron and from me in February!!!
celebrate.gif
Dar will be getting eggs for the Easter Hatchalong...only 50 days to set date!!
woot.gif

He is very handsome! Great picture, too.

I can't complain about snow this year, for sure. It was 50 here today, and now it is sprinkling. I hope that stops soon, as it is to get into the 20s overnight, and I don't want ice! Look at my 10 day forecast!
smile.png

5.png
32.png
32.png
34.png
28.png
30.png
32.png
30.png
30.png
30.png

Rain / Snow Showers Early
Sunny Sunny Mostly Sunny Mostly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Sunny Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy Partly Cloudy
--High 48° 49° 60° 65° 59° 55° 54° 52° 54°
24°Low
24° 32° 45° 33° 28° 30° 29° 26° 34°

Well, ours isn't quite that nice....take about 20 degrees off the daytime temps and 5 or 10 off the night temps........but I'll take it!!

Other Mary............Chickie Mama looks like a Mammoth next to everyone.
lol.png
But she pays her way with her broodiness.

Kathy......how are those Emu eggs doing? Got the fencing done yet?
gig.gif
You're gonna need a REALLY big brooder!

I was a nervous wreck last night. Mary gifted me an Eco Glow brooder (in exchange for my Dogloo for her goats) and it's the first time I've used it. I brood outdoors (got kicked out of the garage and DH's well house due to dust) in a small coop. It's perfect for brooding and has it's own little run attached to it. I supplemented the Eco Glow with a 100 watt incandescent bulb for a bit of extra heat since it's cold. It got down to 40 last night and the babies were all snug under the Eco Glow this morning - though they weren't coming out until it warmed up.
lol.png

And here's a funny story about the Icelandics today. The coop I use to brood in wasn't cleaned after my last batch of chicks last March.
hide.gif
(I know, bad me, but it wasn't being used) So before I put the chicks out there I cleaned it well and noticed this really itsy bitsy beetle colony living under the shavings. I cleaned it out as best as I could and put clean shavings in and a layer of paper towels for the babies.

So fast forward to today. It took exactly ONE day for the Icelandic chicks to find the goodies under the paper towels.
gig.gif
Smart buggers and they were influencing the Brahma/Wellie mutt to join in the fun. It was hilarious watching them dig at the corners of the paper towels to find and eat the little bugs.

Back
Top Bottom