Ideal Hatchery Shipping Dates Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by augustmomx2, Feb 28, 2009.

1. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I ordered 12 pullets from Ideal Hatchery several weeks ago. The availibility date is March 11. My question is, is that the date they hatch or is that the date they are shipped? I am wanting to make sure that I take the entire day off for their arrival [​IMG]

I live in Indiana and I wasn't sure of the time period...anyone have any experience or suggestions? TIA!

Mandy

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

the date they give you is the day they get shipped, then it could be anywhere from 1 to 3 days to get to you.
    did they "say" that was the definite date? did you order by phone or internet?

3. augustmomx2

augustmomx2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I ordered them online and stated the "availability date" was March 11th (a Wednesday). I guess I could call or email to get a more definitive answer. Thanks for the info!

4. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

they should send you a confirmation email,, that will have your definite ship date,, when you order from the web site,, its not always "up to speed" and it will say their available on "this date",, but they may not be, because of call ins during the day, and mail orders.

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    Ideal has (for my only two shipments) said that the post date on the mailing box is the hatchdate. but it always says 10:00 am and like they said that the ship date was the 25th and I recieved them the following day,Don't know if that happens all the time but both of my orders were overnighted to me.

6. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    i ordered 31 chicks yesterday from cackle and they sent me a shipping date of april 1st at 5am. so i should get them on the 3rd or 4th of april.

7. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    My order from ideal left the hatchery at 3 pm on feb 11. My post office called me at 8am on the 12th. I'm just about 100 miles away but i saw post that were shipped at the same time as mine and they got them several hundred miles away in the same amount of time. Good Luck and welcome to BYC

8. Over Easy in Adna

Over Easy in Adna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Adna Washington
    My only order from Ideal shipped on Feb 25 and the post office called at 7:30 am on the 26th. Excellent service considering I am over 1700 miles away.

9. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    I understand your confusion. The ship date Ideal gave me was Feb 25, but my chicks arrived on the 25th, too. I was shocked when I got the call from the PO a day early. The postmark was dated Feb 24, and there was a note that said they hatched at 10:00 a.m. the date of the postmark. So although I thought they would send on the 25th, they sent on the 24th and arrived the 25th. Clear as mud to me, too. Call (or email) Ideal and ask for clarification.

eta: All my peeps arrived alive and healthy - I ordered 10 pullets and they put 6 males for warmth in with them.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  10. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    I think you will find that they send everything as soon as it is able to go in a box, the chicks dont always cooperate, and arrive on the date they want, so you may get some of the first that managed to hatch early, since you didnt have a large order, they were able to fill it and get it to the PO a day earlier instead of waiting till the day they planned to send, because that would have meant 24 hours less time that the chick can survive without food. Mine did arrive all living and lively.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by