ideas for homemade chicken feeder

ivy crew farm

In the Brooder
6 Years
Aug 17, 2013
im looking for ideas on making a homemade chicken feeder that will eliminate (for the most part) food wasting from the chickens "slinging" the food out onto the ground. any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Bo

My take on the feeder is to make a slot, hole, port, trough that is narrow and deep to prevent the billing or sweeping action of the bill from raking feed out. My feeder is a bucket in a pan. There is only 1 inch of space between the lip of the pan and the side of the bucket. They have to eat from the side to sweep along the length of the space. Any food they rake along will fall back into the space between the pan and the bucket.

If the sides of the container are deep enough relative to the level of the food, any that is dropped will fall back into the container.

Chris

My take on the feeder is to make a slot, hole, port, trough that is narrow and deep to prevent the billing or sweeping action of the bill from raking feed out. My feeder is a bucket in a pan. There is only 1 inch of space between the lip of the pan and the side of the bucket. They have to eat from the side to sweep along the length of the space. Any food they rake along will fall back into the space between the pan and the bucket.

If the sides of the container are deep enough relative to the level of the food, any that is dropped will fall back into the container.

Chris
I see no reason for too much concern ,let them peck in the dirt it will not hurt them trust me .
lau.gif

Outside the coop
F9EFB771-76F1-4A28-8C31-A8E4B43FA347-779-00000075C2C665F0_zpsa4750f80.jpg

Inside the coop
A2E3AD31-9D8E-4F96-8A33-CCF3B14F2067-779-00000075BB1F22CF_zpsbb657c3d.jpg

This was a design from another BYC member and it really works great! We made it to hold 100lbs of feed(for winter) and there is zero waste. I had hubby make the tray removable, so I could clean the feed that turned into dust. It is slanted near the tray, so it falls down. It never flows out and I check it 1-2 times a month to see if it needs refilling. There is a shelf above preventing poop from falling in.

I love this feeder. It really is nice that it doesn't take up space inside the coop.

It was 100% free since we used scrap wood.

Last edited:
Call me dumb but not sure I understand how ur feeder works nicole01. Maybe with different pics I might...not sure. Lol

Outside the coop
F9EFB771-76F1-4A28-8C31-A8E4B43FA347-779-00000075C2C665F0_zpsa4750f80.jpg

Inside the coop
A2E3AD31-9D8E-4F96-8A33-CCF3B14F2067-779-00000075BB1F22CF_zpsbb657c3d.jpg

This was a design from another BYC member and it really works great! We made it to hold 100lbs of feed(for winter) and there is zero waste. I had hubby make the tray removable, so I could clean the feed that turned into dust. It is slanted near the tray, so it falls down. It never flows out and I check it 1-2 times a month to see if it needs refilling. There is a shelf above preventing poop from falling in.

I love this feeder. It really is nice that it doesn't take up space inside the coop.

It was 100% free since we used scrap wood.
Very awesome:)

One of the best I've seen. I need to make a new feeder because I have 6 new additions for a total of 13 birds. Do you think this idea would work on a outside wall? Need as much room in coop as possible. Can you further explain the tray you use to collect dust? is it inside feeder if so where? Thanks Dan

Back
Top Bottom