If you ask a man to fix a dripping faucet...

lazy gardener

Crossing the Road
7 Years
Nov 7, 2012
CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
He just might decide to do it.

He will rummage around in the shop for the left over dripping faucet fixing parts left over from the last plumbing job.

He will find them. But, when assessing the options, he will decide that it's better to replace the faucet, b/c it's 42 years old. So... it's a trip to town to buy the faucet, and supply tubes, and of course you have to have supper in town. He will need to take the sink off the wall to unhook the old faucet. He will decide that the 42 year old sink should be replaced. (Any one else build a house in the 70's when ruling colors were avocado and harvest gold?) What kind of a wife would I be if I told him we should NOT replace that hideous avocado colored wall sink?

So... an other trip to town to pick out a replacement sink. Now, the wall needs a lot of spackling, b/c we found that a pedestal sink would best fit in the allowed tiny space. So, we returned with a new sink, and a tub of spackle. Waiting for spackle to dry is worse than waiting for paint to dry. Then, the spackle will need to be at least primed. The new sink will make the rest of the room look shabby. So... I'll be repainting the room. And making a new curtain for the storage shelf area.

All to fix a leaky faucet. Perhaps we are looking at 2 - 3 days work, and $180.00. I sure hope that new faucet doesn't leak!

Last edited:
Ha! We have a 1920's house and have been there done that so many times. And how about after removing the sink, you discover termite damage in the wall and have to replace framing all the way up to the ceiling, which, btw, was made when 2X4s were really 2"X4" so now he has to cut down larger dimension wood....and we're 40 min. from Home Depot, so it becomes quite an expedition to do a 'simple' project.

:lau At least he's working on it! I have half a kitchen. I've had half a kitchen for about 6 years. Think I'm kidding? He changed out the cabinets on the easy half. Nice, shiny white cabinets with plenty of room. Then he got to studying the undone side...the side with the funky corner and typical 1970s built in pantry...or what passes for a pantry. All of those cabinets are still made out of prayers and paneling. Before I knew what happened, he was as out of control as hubby in your post! Finally, "He11, to do all the stuff we'd need to do just to change that side would cost a fortune for an new sink, odd sized and shaped cabinets and counter tops, and we'd have to redo the floor to match what we changed to before because there'll be a height difference. Besides, all of that takes more carpentering skills than we have. These are functioning."

Should I explain about also having half a bathroom now? :he

He just might decide to do it.

He will rummage around in the shop for the left over dripping faucet fixing parts left over from the last plumbing job.

He will find them. But, when assessing the options, he will decide that it's better to replace the faucet, b/c it's 42 years old. So... it's a trip to town to buy the faucet, and supply tubes, and of course you have to have supper in town. He will need to take the sink off the wall to unhook the old faucet. He will decide that the 42 year old sink should be replaced. (Any one else build a house in the 70's when ruling colors were avocado and harvest gold?) What kind of a wife would I be if I told him we should NOT replace that hideous avocado colored wall sink?

So... an other trip to town to pick out a replacement sink. Now, the wall needs a lot of spackling, b/c we found that a pedestal sink would best fit in the allowed tiny space. So, we returned with a new sink, and a tub of spackle. Waiting for spackle to dry is worse than waiting for paint to dry. Then, the spackle will need to be at least primed. The new sink will make the rest of the room look shabby. So... I'll be repainting the room. And making a new curtain for the storage shelf area.

All to fix a leaky faucet. Perhaps we are looking at 2 - 3 days work, and $180.00. I sure hope that new faucet doesn't leak!
:lol:
Dear H. You should be thanking the ALL MIGHTY that you didn't find yourself rebuilding your entire house! :lau
I can give the reciprocal story how a one pair of sandals buying trip to my youngest became 3 entire full suits for DW and daughters !

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom